Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by FRANK ROCCO <fa...@verizon.net> on 2005/09/21 13:50:26 UTC

off topic which dev. laptop

Hello,

I have about 1400.00 to spend on a laptop and am undecided between an
ibook or a pc laptop.
Would there be any problems using a mac to develop java apps using
eclipse and tapestry or jsf?

I also have Java Studio Creator installed on my PC at work.

Thanks fro the help

Frank

Re: off topic which dev. laptop

Posted by Cory Watson <jh...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 22, 2005, at 1:00 PM, Sergei Dubov wrote:

> Frank,
>
> I just find Apple to be slow (comparatively speaking). Everything
> is just slow, from UI to Java performance.
>
> Last piece of advise, if you still decide to buy Apple. Buy it off
> Ebay, there are some sweat second-hand deals there. Just don't pay
> Apple 50% profit margin.

I completely agree with your assessments of java being slower on
Apple hardware, but my UI is not slow and I am completely happy to
pay a premium for the software and integration.  Just my opinion.

Cory Watson
http://www.onemogin.com

Re: off topic which dev. laptop

Posted by Sergei Dubov <sd...@gmail.com>.
Frank,

I have to concur with Konstantin. I have an 1.8 Ghz iMac G5 (!) 2Gb of
RAM. Apple hardware is nothing, absolutely nothing compared to the
latest AMD64 offerings. (The fact that you want a G4 laptop makes things
even worse). You're basically way overpaying for a trendy aluminum box
with a pretty looking trash can on the screen.

I recently bought an Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop with 2Ghz AMD Turion. I've
never ever worked on anything as fast as this box. Here is a comparison.
Clean->Compile->Deploy Ant task on my G5 iMac takes about 35-40 seconds
for my (Tapestry-Spring-Hibernate) application (it is relatively large).
On my ferrari laptop, it is 12 seconds.

I just find Apple to be slow (comparatively speaking). Everything is
just slow, from UI to Java performance.

Last piece of advise, if you still decide to buy Apple. Buy it off Ebay,
there are some sweat second-hand deals there. Just don't pay Apple 50%
profit margin.

Just my 5 cents,

Sergei

Posted by Cory Watson <jh...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 21, 2005, at 4:24 PM, Paul Cantrell wrote:

> I also have a 1.6 GHz PB / 1G ram.

If you get Apple hardware, I highly recommend you get as much RAM as
possible.  Don't buy it from Apple unless you can't find a better price.

While memory is always good, it seems particularly crucial to OS X.

If you are part of a shop that uses an *nix variant, it will benefit
you hugely to be on a *nix-like OS.  I know that I would've paid
money for the developers in my previous teams to have more *nix
experience.

Cory Watson
http://www.onemogin.com

Re: off topic which dev. laptop

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.
I also have a 1.6 GHz PB / 1G ram.

Compatibility is excellent: Tapestry, Hibernate, Eclipse, Tomact,
PostgreSQL, Apache, etc etc all run just fine.

As others have written, Apple tends to be a little behind the curve
on Java updates, and raw performance is acceptable but not as good. A
2GHz Dell is going to solidly outperform a 1.6GHz Powerbook.

My own experience is that performance is still entirely acceptable,
and the pleasure of working with the *outstanding* OS more than
outweighs the performance cons. The only thing that's likely to get
you in trouble is if your company tends to be an early adopter with
new Java versions. If not, get yourself a PB. They're superb.

Cheers,

Paul

Posted by Chris Burnley <ch...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: off topic which dev. laptop

Posted by Nick Stuart <ba...@gmail.com>.
I just got an iBook 2 weeks ago for the same type of work. Must say
I'm enjoying it very much. Like Chris mentioned earlier, sometimes it
does seema little slower but its very much usuable and enjoyable to
work on. You will want to be sure to get more memory though, I maxed
mine right out at 1.5gig and it works like a champ now. (dont get
memory from apple though, way over priced)

Main reason for getting an iBook was because of price, and because I'm
sick of dealing with windows. That and I have windows/linux at home
and at work already so why bother getting another one.

-Nick

p.s. cant say anything about how eclipse runs as I use netbeans/tomcat
for my development work under apples 1.5sdk.

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.
I'm pretty happy with my PowerBook, although it tends to run Java
apps considerably slower than either Windows or Linux.  All in all
though, I'm quite happy with it (BTW, this is a 1 GHz G4 with 1 GB RAM).

Just be aware that with new Java releases, Apple requires an OS
upgrade.  I had to buy Tiger in order to get Java 5 support.  I
suspect Java 6 will not work on Tiger when Apple supports it.

So, in summary, I'm pretty happy with Java dev on my PowerBook.  I
just wish I knew beforehand that Java 5 was going to take 9 months or
however longer to support than Windows & Linux had and that it would
require an OS upgrade and a RAM upgrade to facilitate the new OS.

I hope some of that helps you out.

--
Kevin