Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/06 08:04:37 UTC

Hands up, who's in favor of disabling the Checkstyle checks?

Because these checks drive me crazy, I'd prefer to make the nochecks
profile the default. What do others think?

BTW, if we were automatically formatting the code with Jalopy or
something similar I wouldn't mind so much, but we're not doing that
currently and I'm not sure we want to do that as it's rather
heavy-handed.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

http://bruceblog.org/

Re: Hands up, who's in favor of disabling the Checkstyle checks?

Posted by Andreas Schaefer <an...@madplanet.com>.
I am not a contributor but because I fought with checkstyle on
servicemix beforehand I thought I share my 2 cents.

I would assume that anyone working as a contributor in an open-source
project is able to read code even if it is not formated as he is used
to and so I don't see the need to use checkstyle to force a certain
formatting. Even the suggestion that one could use a tool inside an
IDE that helps to format may not work good because not everyone is
using the same IDE (I heard some are still using VI) and even if they
might work on different project using different "coding guidelines". I
did not testing with the ServiceMix checkstyle and it turned out that
I still can write some ugly looking code. Therefore I would think that
not formatting should be enforced with checkstyle.

That said I would still use checkstyle to enforce some problematic
code that leads easily to errors like "single line block" or
overwriting member variables.

Finally due to the fact that bad documentation or wrong documentation
is worse than none I would also suggest that no enforcing of JavaDoc
is done as well. Just saying that this method is a setter for a member
is worthless and makes the class harder to read because it is longer a
few lines.

Have fun - Andy

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I'm fine with that.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.
> Yeah, I'm aware of these and they're cool. Thanks for the reminder
> ;-). I'm just not sure I'm that interested in doing little onesy-twosy
> cleanup of a class here and there. If we're going to cleanup the
> entire codebase in one fell swoop and then vow to keep it clean that's
> a different issue altogether.

The clean-ups help lighten the load on the developer in the 'vow to
keep it clean phase' :)

  --oh

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: Hands up, who's in favor of disabling the Checkstyle checks?

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 06/12/2007, Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com> wrote:
> > BTW, if we were automatically formatting the code with Jalopy or
> > something similar I wouldn't mind so much, but we're not doing that
> > currently and I'm not sure we want to do that as it's rather
> > heavy-handed.
>
> For Eclipse developers out there, there is a neat feature called
> 'Clean Ups' that will tidy your code for you when you save. I've
> referenced it from a blog article at [0].

The main issue I have is I've never managed to get IDEA to auto-format
to ServiceMix style guidelines...

FWIW I find 'em painful too :)

>   best regards
>    Oisin
>
> [0] http://blogs.iona.com/ohurley/2007/10/
> eclipse_summit_2007_first_day.html

> Registered Number: 171387

James
-------
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Hands up, who's in favor of disabling the Checkstyle checks?

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.