Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com> on 2003/06/06 18:19:17 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] mod_jk2 binary for Apache2/Win32 [SOLVED]

Laurent Blume wrote:
> No, it's part of Tomcat, and I think the most relevant sources are those
> available in the Tomcat source dist, and also as a separate file:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.1.24/src/
>
> I tried with the complete Tomcat distribution (it looked easier), but
> couldn't go anywhere (I'm not that used to compiling on Win32, and I
> didn't have enough time to spend on it).

To answer my own question, since I could take some time to try building
that connector, and finally did it, here are some notes I took, that
might be of use to someone else...

Feel free to correct me if needed.
If useful, I might improve it and put it online somewhere.
Lines starting with c:> are for the command prompt.

Tomcat 4.1 Connectors
---------------------
Version: 4.1.24
I used the zip file containing only the connectors code
(jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.24-src.zip)

MS Visual Studio 98
-------------------
By default, the connector config file looks for RC.EXE in C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin
For me, it was in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin
Rather than modifying the config files, I simply copied the file (it'as
already twice in the MSVC dir, so what the heck).
Example in the Windows command prompt
c:> copy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin\rc.exe" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\Bin"

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin must be in
the PATH (some DLLs need it)
Example in the Windows command prompt:
c:> PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin

Apache2
-------
Version: 2.0.46

It must be installed using the "Custom" choice, and "Build headers and
libraries" must be selected.

The APACHE2_HOME environment variable must be set to the Apache 2 directory.
Example in the Windows command prompt:
c:> set APACHE2_HOME=C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2

Ant
---
Version: 1.5.3

It must be installed, and the bin/ subdir in the PATH
Example in the Windows command prompt:
c:> PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\Apache Group\apache-ant-1.5.3\bin

JDK2
----
Version: 1.4.1_02

The JAVA_HOME environment variable should be set
Example in the Windows command prompt:
c:> set JAVA_HOME=c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02

* Unzip the connectors' source file in a convenient directory.
%CONNROOT% indicates the base of the extracted directory.

* Adapt the properties file to your needs
c:> cd %CONNROOT%/jk/
c:> notepad build.properties

* I only put those two lines in it, since I want to disable debugging
and enable code optimization:
so.debug=false
so.optimize=true

* Then, first build, for some dependencies:
c:> ant jkant

* Finally, the connectors (Apache2 and IIS):
c:> cd native2/
c:> ant

* The resulting DLLs will be in:
%CONNROOT%/jk/build/jk2/apache2/mod_jk2.dll
and
%CONNROOT%/jk/build/jk2/isapi/redirector2.dll

* Just follow the usual installation to replace old binaries

Laurent