Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr> on 2020/02/01 12:05:06 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Make apache2 (httpd) portable under Linux

Hello Raf,

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/invoking.html

> so if binary is set to /home/alain/webserver/apache or
> /home/$user/webserver/apache it should be able to run with
> configuration file, just by launching httpd start or something like that.
>
> however i'm lost with the source code while i compile it with --PREFIX
> and other option.
>
> Can someone help me to understand it better ?

Once you have uncompressed the httpd tarball, you go to the root of the
source tree then execute following command , for example:

*./configure --prefix=/usr/local/httpd-2.4.41*

where /usr/local/httpd-2.4.41 is the root of the installation directory
which will contain bin, doc, share, include,... directories.

if there's no error, you execute then

*make*

to build httpd, then

*sudo make install*

to install it /usr/local/httpd-2.4.41

Other configure options can be found via command :

*./configure --help*

Posted by Daniel Ferradal <df...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Tha's not exactly true. You specify a default path absolute path, but
you can override these values with config on startup easily.

If you want to "install" apache without a default path or a relative
one, I don't think that can be done.

--
Daniel Ferradal
HTTPD Project