Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1995/07/25 02:56:28 UTC

Re: unique request ID

>    Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 10:22:49 -0500
>    From: Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
>

>    It occurs to me that the modularity of 0.8 makes it difficult to
>    tie data from one logging module to the next.  Would it be possible
>    to add an integer format date field to the request structure?
>
>    -Randy
>

> Hmmm... one of the things I have in the back of my mind as a possible
> design for a configurable logging module would be one which allowed
> other modules to register their own logging variables (to be
> interpolated into the log files, or not, by means of the format
> control strings).
>
> In the meantime, I suppose we could consider stopgaps, but I'm not
> sure what you want this "integer format date field" to contain ---
> last modified date, date the request came in, etc.  It would be easier
> if you said what problem you were trying to solve...
>
> rst

As it stands, we are sending separate logging information to several
files.  It would be nice if I could log r->date in each module
that handles the request so that a request would have a unique
timestamp shared throughout the system.

I am currently logging:

gettimeofday (&t, NULL);

sprintf ( str, "%ld.%.6d", t.tv_sec, t.tv_usec)