Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Robert Hadfield <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/08 19:40:43 UTC

5 minute quickstart: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found

Hi, I have tried several times now to get maven, just to try it out.

I have followed the steps in the 5 minute guide (and the quickstart) - I
seem to get the same problem whatever I try.

Installation - done:

cpc1-reig2-0-0-cust1000:~/Documents/workspace robhadfield$ mvn --version
Maven version: 2.0.7
Java version: 1.5.0_07
OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.4.10" arch: "i386"

I have a direct (ISP) connection to the internet so I assume I don't
need any special 'network setup' to be done.

Next step, try

mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-app

cpc1-reig2-0-0-cust1000:~/Documents/workspace robhadfield$ mvn
archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-app
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Sun Jul 08 10:27:19 BST 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M
[INFO]

env output shows:

PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin/maven-2.0.7/bin

PWD=/Users/robhadfield/Documents/workspace
JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home
M2_HOME=/usr/local/bin/maven-2.0.7

I've found similar reports of these symptoms but occurring at the build
stage (next step).

I have no idea what I've done wrong here - everything looks like it is
set correctly.  I can't think of anything that should be different for
my system.  Can anyone help?

Re: 5 minute quickstart: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found

Posted by Robert Hadfield <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I have no software firewall - nothing that I can think of that would
stop me reaching the outside world!

Could this be a problem with data at the external repository?

cpc1-reig2-0-0-cust1000:~/Documents/workspace robhadfield$ mvn -X -U
archetype:create   -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes
-DgroupId=com.mycompany.app   -DartifactId=my-app
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
Maven version: 2.0.7
Java version: 1.5.0_07
OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.4.10" arch: "i386"
[DEBUG] Building Maven user-level plugin registry from:
'/Users/robhadfield/.m2/plugin-registry.xml'
[DEBUG] Building Maven global-level plugin registry from:
'/usr/local/bin/maven-2.0.7/conf/plugin-registry.xml'
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[DEBUG] Loading plugin prefixes from group: org.apache.maven.plugins
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
[DEBUG] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not be
found on repository: central
[DEBUG] Loading plugin prefixes from group: org.codehaus.mojo
[INFO] org.codehaus.mojo: checking for updates from central
[DEBUG] repository metadata for: 'org.codehaus.mojo' could not be found
on repository: central
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:
checking for updates from central
[DEBUG] repository metadata for: 'artifact
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' could not be found on
repository: central
[DEBUG] maven-archetype-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
latest version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:LATEST

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:LATEST
[DEBUG] maven-archetype-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
release version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:RELEASE

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:RELEASE
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no
valid version could be found
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1286)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1522)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListByAggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:386)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:138)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:334)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:125)
        at
        at
        at
        at
Caused by:
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.PluginVersionNotFoundException: The
plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist
or no valid version could be found
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePluginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:228)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePluginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:90)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:166)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1257)
        ... 14 more
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Sun Jul 08 19:18:32 BST 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M
[INFO]

Posted by Guillaume Bilodeau <gb...@yahoo.com>.

Guillaume Bilodeau wrote:

> Wendy Smoak-3 wrote:
>>
>> On 8/17/07, Guillaume Bilodeau <gb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am behind no firewall, I have setup no mirrors - this is a clean
>>> install.
>>> It's obviously a network error as the SocketException shows.  Actually,
>>> ibiblio.org has a hard time redirecting to mirrors.ibiblio.org - takes 1
>>> or
>>> 2 minutes to do so in a web browser.  Could this be the problem?
>>
>> If it's a completely clean install, it shouldn't be talking to ibiblio
>> at all... the central repo is at repo1.maven.org/maven2 .
>>
>> Can you clarify whether this happens with an empty local repository?
>> (I'm not sure if this is a fresh install of Maven, or a completely
>> clean new machine.)
>>
>> Try deleting the local repository and/or adding -U to the command line.
>>
>> --
>> Wendy

> It's a fresh, clean install and the repository is empty.  This was already
> executed with the -U -X options.  Strange isn't it?

Even stranger: running mvn -U install on a project with new dependencies
works ONCE per day.  After this successful run, the above message comes up
again.  Changing the system date has no effect whatsoever.

Surely this must be a firewall issue - I should have mentioned that I am
behind a firewall, but not behind a proxy.  Is this possible?
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/5-minute-quickstart%3A-The-plugin-%27org.apache.maven.plugins%3Amaven-archetype-plugin%27-does-not-exist-or-no-valid-version-could-be-found-tf4045296s177.html#a12313790

Posted by Guillaume Bilodeau <gb...@yahoo.com>.

View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/5-minute-quickstart%3A-The-plugin-%27org.apache.maven.plugins%3Amaven-archetype-plugin%27-does-not-exist-or-no-valid-version-could-be-found-tf4045296s177.html#a12201808

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Bilodeau <gb...@yahoo.com>.
I'm getting a similar error while trying to setup Maven in a new environment:

*****

+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
Maven version: 2.0.7
Java version: 1.6.0_02
OS name: "windows xp" version: "5.1" arch: "x86"
[DEBUG] Building Maven user-level plugin registry from: 'D:\Documents and
Settings\T071543\.m2\plugin-registry.xml'
[DEBUG] Building Maven global-level plugin registry from:
'D:\maven-2.0.7\conf\plugin-registry.xml'
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[DEBUG] Loading plugin prefixes from group: org.apache.maven.plugins
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not be
retrieved from repository: central due to an error: Error transferring file
[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted
[DEBUG] Exception
org.apache.maven.wagon.TransferFailedException: Error transferring file
	at
org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputData(LightweightHttpWagon.java:104)
	at org.apache.maven.wagon.StreamWagon.get(StreamWagon.java:68)
	at
org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.getRemoteFile(DefaultWagonManager.java:462)
	at
org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.getArtifactMetadata(DefaultWagonManager.java:363)
	at
org.apache.maven.artifact.repository.metadata.DefaultRepositoryMetadataManager.resolveAlways(DefaultRepositoryMetadataManager.java:364)
	at
org.apache.maven.artifact.repository.metadata.DefaultRepositoryMetadataManager.resolve(DefaultRepositoryMetadataManager.java:97)
	at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginMappingManager.loadPluginMappings(DefaultPluginMappingManager.java:103)
	at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginMappingManager.loadPluginMappings(DefaultPluginMappingManager.java:87)
	at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginMappingManager.getByPrefix(DefaultPluginMappingManager.java:61)
	at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.getPluginDefinitionForPrefix(DefaultPluginManager.java:149)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1451)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListByAggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:386)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:138)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:334)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:125)
	at
	at
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)
	at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:666)
	at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:611)
	at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:631)
	at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1000)
	at
org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputData(LightweightHttpWagon.java:83)
	... 23 more
[DEBUG] Loading plugin prefixes from group: org.codehaus.mojo
[DEBUG] Skipping blacklisted repository central
[DEBUG] Skipping blacklisted repository central
[DEBUG] maven-archetype-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
latest version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:LATEST

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:LATEST
[DEBUG] maven-archetype-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
release version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:RELEASE

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:RELEASE
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not
[...]
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Aug 17 11:18:59 EDT 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/4M
[INFO]

*****

I am behind no firewall, I have setup no mirrors - this is a clean install.
It's obviously a network error as the SocketException shows.  Actually,
ibiblio.org has a hard time redirecting to mirrors.ibiblio.org - takes 1 or
2 minutes to do so in a web browser.  Could this be the problem?

Thanks,
GB

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/5-minute-quickstart%3A-The-plugin-%27org.apache.maven.plugins%3Amaven-archetype-plugin%27-does-not-exist-or-no-valid-version-could-be-found-tf4045296s177.html#a12201683

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
For the future, information like this ("I configured a mirror in
settings.xml") is useful to mention in your first email... ;-)

Wayne

Posted by Robert Hadfield <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that's certainly the problem. It seems like the ibiblio mirror
you're automagically using has some troubles.

I'm not quite sure how to force ibiblio to give you a different
mirror. Personally, I would just set up a <repository> in settings.xml
pointing at repo1.maven.org that is a <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>,
and move on with life.

If you can't figure it out (Google should be helpful), email again,
and I can post specifics. ;-)

Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:48:58 GMT

Server: Apache/2

<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
/pub/packages/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-metadata.xml was not
found on this server.</p>
error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the
request.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2 Server at vhost.ibiblio.org Port 80</address>

There are several other requests in the tcpdump which all get HTTP 404's.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Hadfield <ro...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Kind regards,

Rob

Wayne Fay wrote:
> Try adding a -U to the mvn archetype:create line.
>
> Wayne

<snip>

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.