Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2003/01/18 16:11:40 UTC

JIRA for James

I brought this up a while ago, but since the folks that run nagoya
didn't seem to interested, I didn't push it further.

However, I've just come to know that Forrest uses JIRA, and Peter Donald
is planning to move Avalon to JIRA (this was 2 months ago, so may have
changed his mind since).

We're in the process of migrating all our commercial development from
Bugzilla to JIRA because it's just a much better issue tracking system.
  Better interface, faster, more flexibility, release management...  And
it's free for open source projects.

Anyway, since other Apache projects seem to be adopting it, I think it's
worth considering.  I think anyone who tries JIRA will have a hard time
arguing against it. :)

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies

Re: JIRA for James

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Not really, I was addressing your comment about IssueZilla that
> Collabnet uses (Tigris is of Collabnet).

Yeah, that was Harmeet's comment actually.

> As for Scarab, it will most probably be usde because Pier, the Bugzilla
> guy, is more than fed up with admininstring Bugzilla, and will change as
> soon as he can to a better system. AFAIK there is no other OS bug
> tracking system other than Scarab...

I can definitely sympathize with Pier.  When I mentioned JIRA to him
privately, he sounded pretty stressed in general from dealing with this. :)

>> OpenSymphony is a smaller but similar high-quality Java open source
>> project
>> depot (similar to Jakarta), and I think the affiliated business
>> (Atlassian)
>> has produced something a lot better than Scarab in JIRA.
>

> It's not OS, and some have espressed that they would feel more than
> uneasy to use it for all Apache.

Yeah, there's a lesson here in how to make a profit on top of the open
source market... CollabNet is doing something very similar to Atlassian
in that CollabNet has proprietary extensions that they will use to have
a sellable version of Scarab.  Meanwhile, Atlassian didn't open source
the core but justs licenses it for open source use for free... just
interesting to see how the different strategies are playing out.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: JIRA for James

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Serge Knystautas wrote:
> [...]

Personally, I prefer Bugzilla both to JIRA and Scarab. Why? I'm used to
it, and it simply works for me for what I need. (Thanks Pier)  ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: JIRA for James

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: JIRA for James

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: JIRA for James

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
I would be curious what ASF thinks about IssueZilla. It seems to be the next
iterations of Buzilla maybe like CVS->Subversion. I don't know a lot about
it but OpenOffice uses it and Collabnet promotes it.
There is some information about it here.
http://eyebrowse.tigris.org/project/www/docs/ProjectIssues.html#aboutIZ

The reason why I raise issue zilla is that it would be bad if one does
Bugzilla->Jira and then to another system after that. Would be good to see
if IssueZilla can address some of the concerns

>   Better interface, faster, more flexibility, release management...
and be better long term direction.

Harmeet