Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <ki...@terra-intl.com> on 2004/07/10 18:28:01 UTC

Re: http://xml.apache.org/mirrors.cgi

Glenn Mazza Wrote:

> Either it's rarely updated (obviously), or only
> updated by teams that remember it.  Usually, one goes
> to the precise web page (Xerces, Xalan, FOP, etc.) for
> the SW  wanted and follows the instructions from
> there.

Au

> FOP, at least, doesn't appear to be getting many
> complaints about this.

"Chicken and Egg" relation.

> > I mean, how can we get *new* binaries and sources
> > of xml.apache.org products? Due to the lack of the
> > comprehension of the updates @ mirrors.html?

> Many/Most of XML Apache's projects are becoming TLP's
> on their own.  We're perhaps not as closely tied
> together as the Jakarta teams.  Best to just go to the
> web page of the specific product you wish to download.

Woooo ... and how do would you think to update
http://xml.apache.org/mirrors.cgi
after most of the projects (subs) move up into TLPs?

Who would be responsible for it to update mirrors.cgi?

Who would be responsible for the announcement of
"APACHE XML RELATED -- federated -- projects" ?

# for reference: now announcements@xml.apache has 2000 subscribers

Why federated? common -- infrastructure -- for xml team??
Why do not you want to put the good conditions for the
* ex-xml.apache.org -ed * projects?
#Of course I will, if i have a sufficient karma to do

--

Perhaps this can be discussed at the "proposal of ferderative networks"
in xml.apache.org land, also.

Cheers,

Re: http://xml.apache.org/mirrors.cgi

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
(for those aren't familiar with tetsuya, he runs
http://www.apachenews.org/ and a japenese translation of the main
jakarta site. he also acted as editor of the jakarta/apache newsletter
for a while. he has karma for the jakarta site and the webservices
site.)

maintaining the mirrors document is actually very important since the
ASF has to pay for bandwidth. so, infrequent maintenance of this
document could be seem as a (possible) symptom of a larger malaise. if
the xml federation is to succeed as a central source of information,
it's important that this information is kept fresh.

i (do a lot of the maintenance of the website over in jakartaland and)
have raised some similar concerns before. however, berin has said that
his plan is to address these issues once the transition from project to
federation has been completed. this sounds like a good plan to me, so
my suggestion is everyone keep's their powder dry till then.

- robert

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.
Tetsuya,

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Comment below:

--- Tetsuya Kitahata <ki...@terra-intl.com> wrote:
> Glenn Mazza Wrote:
>
> > Either it's rarely updated (obviously), or only
> > updated by teams that remember it.  Usually, one
> goes
> > to the precise web page (Xerces, Xalan, FOP, etc.)
> for
> > the SW  wanted and follows the instructions from
> > there.
>
> Au
>
> > FOP, at least, doesn't appear to be getting many
> > complaints about this.
>
> "Chicken and Egg" relation.
>
> > > I mean, how can we get *new* binaries and
> sources
> > > of xml.apache.org products? Due to the lack of
> the
> > > comprehension of the updates @ mirrors.html?
>
> > Many/Most of XML Apache's projects are becoming
> TLP's
> > on their own.  We're perhaps not as closely tied
> > together as the Jakarta teams.  Best to just go to
> the
> > web page of the specific product you wish to
> download.
>
> Woooo ... and how do would you think to update
> http://xml.apache.org/mirrors.cgi
> after most of the projects (subs) move up into TLPs?
>
> Who would be responsible for it to update
> mirrors.cgi?
>
> Who would be responsible for the announcement of
> "APACHE XML RELATED -- federated -- projects" ?
>
> # for reference: now announcements@xml.apache has
> 2000 subscribers
>
> Why federated? common -- infrastructure -- for xml
> team??
> Why do not you want to put the good conditions for
> the
> * ex-xml.apache.org -ed * projects?
> #Of course I will, if i have a sufficient karma to
> do

Sorry, Tetsuya.  For someone to be entrusted with
updating the XML Apache web pages, he/she would need
to write cleanly and professionally.  This includes
taking the time to proofread written work before
submitting it (maybe even capitalizing those "i"'s.)
Absent these traits, you end up disrespecting the
reader.

Just typing up slop and sending it out--the
unfortunate approach you took here in introducing
yourself to us--would not reflect well on our web
pages.  No one here would be in the mood to keep
rewriting what you cvs commit--it would better for the
page to be somewhat out-of-date than to be poorly
written.

Glen