Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Fawzib Rojas <f_...@spectron-msim.com> on 2007/12/19 21:15:41 UTC

Cocoon 2.2 install

Is there a simple howto to install/run Cocoon 2.2? I have been looking
around and I haven't found anything that explains how to do it. I
haven't found any download links at the cocoon site.

With 2.1 was just download, extract, run the startup script. I have no
idea how to begin, or were to find 2.2

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Babak Farhang wrote:
>>> Ah!... I understand ;-)
>>>
>>> Maven does all the 'installing' for you..
>>>

> I'd like to get the source code when 'installing' Coccon 2.2.  Can I
> get the source code for 2.2 using maven, also?

Um?  No I don't think so.

I download the source from the subversion server [1].

The instructions to build that are in the README file (and yes... Maven
is also used to build that!)  This file also contains some very useful
links [2] and [3] which may answer all your questions.

- David.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk
[2] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g2/756.html
[3] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g2/g1/g4/g1/g1/798.html

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Babak Farhang pisze:
>>> Ah!... I understand ;-)
>>>
>>> Maven does all the 'installing' for you..
>
> I'd like to get the source code when 'installing' Coccon 2.2.  Can I
> get the source code for 2.2 using maven, also?

Why do you need sources? If it's for debugging purposes then answer is yes, Maven will download
needed sources for debugging.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install

Posted by Babak Farhang <fa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Babak Farhang pisze:
>> Maven does all the 'installing' for you.  As I said, Cocoon 2.2 is very
>> different from earlier versions.  Maven is the key.  If you run Maven
>> from the command line as shown in the tutorial [1] it will download what
>> it needs from a remote repository and build a skeletal Cocoon 2.2
>> application for you.  Then you have to figure out how to split up your
>> existing app into suitable blocks and fit them into the new structure.
>> Following the other tutorials in sequence will help you understand how
>> to connect up other blocks.
>
> *My* problem is that I don't know what the artifact-ids for the
> various blocks are.  I imagine I have to specify these maven
> dependencies in my POM, right?

This site may be handy:
http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.cocoon

Also you should always check our website. For example, if you want to check artifact id of template
block you can find all needed information here:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/template/1.0/project-summary.html

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install

Posted by Babak Farhang <fa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.

Fawzib Rojas wrote:

>> Cocoon 2.2 is radically different but I definitely think it's worth it.
> I don't mind it being different, the problem is no documentation on
> how to do things (or if there is, I can't find it) and I can't even
> figure out how to install it.

Ah!... I understand ;-)

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install

Posted by Fawzib Rojas <f_...@spectron-msim.com>.

David Legg wrote:
> Hi Fawzib,
>
> The main overview of Cocoon 2.2 can be found on the apache web site. [1]
Read it, didn't saw anywhere how to install it.
> You should also take a close look at the section titled 'Your first
> Cocoon application using Maven 2' [2]
I did, I was looking for a sample using eclipse and the maven plugin. I
guess I have to install the console version of maven, right?
> Cocoon 2.2 is radically different but I definitely think it's worth
> it.  The fact it uses Maven and Spring and makes a decent attempt to
> modularize are reasons enough for me to update.
I don't mind it being different, the problem is no documentation on how
to do things (or if there is, I can't find it) and I can't even figure
out how to install it.
> Keep in mind that you no longer get a bucket-load of examples ready to
> run once you have built it and the documentation is still very
> fragmentary at this stage.  I wonder why the version number went from
> 2.1 to 2.2 when things have changed so much?
Well a wiki on how to get a basic cocoon 2.2 environment working in
eclipse would be useful. I have an application working in cocoon 2.1
(some ServletGenerators, StreamGenerators, Actions,...) and want to see
how to start moving things to the new version.

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
When you say:
"I wonder why the version number went from 2.1 to 2.2 "
I assume you meant:
I wonder why the version number ONLY went from 2.1 to 2.2"

Basically Cocoon is one of the most conservative software systems
in terms of numbering that I have seen - the fact that we have gone
from version (about) 1.9 to 2.2 in 8 years does not mean there is
nothing happening - quite the contrary in fact - but it does seem
strange to those new to it.

Personally I quite like the Ubuntu system of YY.MM format for their
release numbering; its unambiguous and provides an instant "history"
for the project (of course, Cocoon would have started off, say, as 99.01
and moved on to 00.08 or some such... ;).

[1] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/2.2/
[2] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/2.2/1159_1_1.html

Re: Cocoon 2.2 install