Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Eric Weaver <we...@sigma.net> on 2001/10/16 21:17:24 UTC

Number of SMTP connections in James SMTPServer

I'm looking at using James for a massive number (tens of thousands) of SMTP
connections.  I notice that James only accepts about 30 connections to the
SMPTServer at present.  Can anybody help me locate where this limitation lies
and give any clues how to scale it up?

I have the recent sources from CVS.

THanks...

--
Eric C. Weaver						  weav@sigma.net
"Wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat... and radio operates

Re: Number of SMTP connections in James SMTPServer

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Once you're approach a thousand threads/connections, I'd seriously guess
you're hitting JVM/OS issues.  I regularly check
http://www.volano.com/report.html to see how well various JVM/OS's handle
high thread/connection conditions.  I'd need to hear what OS and JVM
implementation you're using, and what if any changes you've made to the OS
to support a large number of threads.

With the JDK 1.4 there's support for asynchronous IO, and in theory Avalon
could retool so the # of threads doesn't increase with the number of
connections.

Incidentally, why do you need so many concurrent connections?

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/
Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Eric Weaver wrote:
> file.  Running the new version, it handles up to 945 and then chokes and
> has to be restarted - the threads apparently hang and it won't answer
> the SMTP port after that.

Have you tried to tune the JVM?
Maybe it's just a matter of having a larger heap/stack space.

Oki

Re: Number of SMTP connections in James SMTPServer

Posted by Eric Weaver <we...@sigma.net>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Eric,

I'm not sure what the limitation is at this point... what are you using to
simulate that many connections?  If it's Java code, can you submit it so I
can add it to our testing directory and try it myself?  Or if it's a tool I
can try for free, I'd like to explore the limitation.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
Have you tried the thread manager conf at the bottom of
dist/apps/james/conf/config.xml, and the spool threads at the top?