Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org> on 2002/08/07 15:03:59 UTC

forrestbot problem with ftp deploy

Hi all,

the ftp task we're using requires the ANT_HOME\lib to contain the jars for
supporting the <ftp> task
that would be:
- the netcomponents.jar from
http://www.savarese.org/oro/downloads/index.html#NetComponents
- a different optional.jar that holds the liaison classes (building ant with
the above jar in place does that)

obviously I was doing my ftp tests with by calling 'ant bot' in stead of
'build bot'

here is a list of actions I propose to get rid of this
-1- commit a new ant-1.5-optional.jar so at least people can slide in the
other jar at own choice
-2- check on the legal issues for redistributing the NetComponents.jar
(anyone that would now?)
-3- eventually check in that one as well

if there are no objections, I'ld like to proceed with this.

-marc=
mpo@outerthought.org                      info@outerthought.org

RE: forrestbot problem with ftp deploy

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

jep, realized after my post that the slide-in-extra-jar technique
would work for the liaison classes as well of course...
new decisiion: will just update the manual on the forrestbot on this
(some warning on using the deploy-ftp)

> > -2- check on the legal issues for redistributing the NetComponents.jar
> > (anyone that would know?)
>
> AFAIK are they not donated to Jakarta Commons?

site mentioned that indeed...
didn't check on the commons yet.

> > -3- eventually check in that one as well
> >
> > if there are no objections, I'ld like to proceed with this.
>
> Centipede is now approaching the new beta and will make this really
> easy, but if you need to commit, I'm not going to stop you, just keep in
> mind that it might change soon.

naah, I would be the one questioning the need for an ant in forrest
in the first place. (I guess practicallities with ant and centipede
beta's would be the argumentation?)   So I'm definitaly more happy
with the new insight: document extras to install when using ftp deploy

thx.
-marc=

Re: forrestbot problem with ftp deploy

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Marc Portier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the ftp task we're using requires the ANT_HOME\lib to contain the jars for
> supporting the <ftp> task
> that would be:
> - the netcomponents.jar from
> http://www.savarese.org/oro/downloads/index.html#NetComponents
> - a different optional.jar that holds the liaison classes (building ant with
> the above jar in place does that)
>
> obviously I was doing my ftp tests with by calling 'ant bot' in stead of
> 'build bot'
>
> here is a list of actions I propose to get rid of this
> -1- commit a new ant-1.5-optional.jar so at least people can slide in the
> other jar at own choice

If you are not careful it will break Centipede, because I had to remove
some things from optional.jar to make it possible to load Junit and
other things from external jars in cents.
Instead, just add a jar with the extra classes needed for the task.

> -2- check on the legal issues for redistributing the NetComponents.jar
> (anyone that would now?)

AFAIK are they not donated to Jakarta Commons?

> -3- eventually check in that one as well
>
> if there are no objections, I'ld like to proceed with this.

Centipede is now approaching the new beta and will make this really
easy, but if you need to commit, I'm not going to stop you, just keep in
mind that it might change soon.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -