Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2008/03/01 02:33:11 UTC

Re: 1.5.0-alpha2 tarballs up for signing/testing

Karl Fogel wrote:
> "David Glasser" <gl...@davidglasser.net> writes:
>> Sure, we could make the dist script pull it in.
>>
>> (As it is, we always ship a months- or years-outdated copy of
>> hacking.html since nobody bothers to backport changes to www...)
>
> +1 on pulling in hacking.html and anything else we want to ship with,
> but then let's make sure the distro-rolling policy is to explicitly
> pull in the *latest* (trunk) versions of the files in question.

Just to note a complication with moving 'www' out of trunk:  there's an
instance set (a bundle of custom logic) on Tigris.org that is responsible
for publishing the web pages at subversion.tigris.org from our trunk/www
repository directory.  Changing this requires some CollabNet Engineering
effort, and I'm pretty sure that effort is not the best use of time right now.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: 1.5.0-alpha2 tarballs up for signing/testing

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> "David Glasser" <gl...@davidglasser.net> writes:
>  > How about we leave it in trunk but remove it from release branches?
>
>  How will that muck with merging? :-)

I don't think we'll be backporting any revisions that touch www!

And if we do, it gives us a nice way to test merge tracking :)

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: 1.5.0-alpha2 tarballs up for signing/testing

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> writes:
>> +1 on pulling in hacking.html and anything else we want to ship with,
>> but then let's make sure the distro-rolling policy is to explicitly
>> pull in the *latest* (trunk) versions of the files in question.
>
> Just to note a complication with moving 'www' out of trunk:  there's
> an instance set (a bundle of custom logic) on Tigris.org that is
> responsible for publishing the web pages at subversion.tigris.org from
> our trunk/www repository directory.  Changing this requires some
> CollabNet Engineering effort, and I'm pretty sure that effort is not
> the best use of time right now.

I misunderstood the thread, sorry.  I was merely assenting to not
shipping all of 'www' with dists, not to moving it out of trunk.

I like the fact that when you check out the development sources, you
get the www/ directory -- it emphasizes that they're just source files
like any others, and that you can patch them like you can patch a C
file, and that they're part of the developers' collective
responsibility.

I'd rather just change how we roll dists, but still leave www/ in
trunk, though I don't feel all that strongly either way.

-Karl