Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by netdawg <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2012/04/21 20:12:51 UTC

Better Looking Input Form

Problem: Default styles are too clunky.   Need to bolt a better style
wrapper.

I would like to use better looking forms generated by, say,
http://www.appnitro.com/

Is there some documentation, best practice or cookbook, somewhere, on
MERGING styles with default Tapestry styles?

The only way, right now, seems to be to reverse engineer every use-case
(like form errors etc) and capture each CSS class to redefine it according
to the new style.   Even then, session management glue code  like the hidden
t:formdata can only be discovered by accident in view-source.  With so much
dependency on stuff showing up only after maven build in
/assets/1.0-SNAPSHOT-DEV/tapestry/  ... there seems to be a lot going on to
even bother creating your own look-and-feel (and also have tapestry form
functionality).

This would push back the project quite a bit...unless I am missing
something?

Re: Better Looking Input Form

Posted by netdawg <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Interesting.   Inspiring.  I am thinking along same lines.   Perhaps...

1) Reflect the bean into some markup like XML.
2) Apply whatever-needed transformation (XSLT/CSS ?) to it.

Re: Better Looking Input Form

Posted by trsvax <tr...@gmail.com>.
I wrote a module that changes Tapestry HTML to Bootstrap HTML. Here is the
code for BeanEditForm

https://github.com/trsvax/tapestry-bootstrap/blob/master/src/main/java/com/trsvax/bootstrap/services/bootstrapprovider/FormProvider.java

Basically you run a Visitor on the DOM after the component is rendered. At
that point you can covert it to whatever you want, then style that.

Re: Better Looking Input Form

Posted by netdawg <ne...@yahoo.com>.
This is somewhat less intrusive as well:

<t:beaneditor t:id="person"/>

Just happened on it at:

http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/corelib/components/Submit.html

To separately style, used embedded attributes:

<t:beaneditor t:id="person"/>

Re: Better Looking Input Form

Posted by netdawg <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Somewhat outdated but helpful in this regard ("Total Control" form):

http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/totalcontroledit1/1

But this is not for the faint of heart...for reasonably complex
style-sheets.

Re: Better Looking Input Form

Posted by netdawg <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Bummer.  Having both tapestry and non-tapestry styling is probably not a
realistic option.

From

http://tapestry.apache.org/integration-with-existing-applications.html

quote author="netdawg">
Tapestry's Form component does a lot of work while an HTML form is rendering
to store all the information needed to handle the form submission in a later
request; this is all very specific to Tapestry and the particular
construction of your pages and forms; it can't be reproduced from a JSP.

Well if it cannot be reproduced from JSP, plain HTML would be same thing.

This is a serious problem.  So either use your own form and roll your own
validation etc - or use tapestry form with limited (default ) styles, or
painful reconstruction in your styles to capture everything generated by
tapestry (which itself can change).  Am I understanding correctly?   Ugh.
This is why PHP ended up ruling the planet.

I think what is probably needed is some sort of wizard to generate form a la
appnitro.com or use some sort of decorator approach like Sitemesh does to
augment plain HTML forms.   Not sure....any help/pointers would be
appreciated.