Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by rongzheng yan <ro...@oracle.com> on 2015/06/05 23:26:05 UTC

Fwd: Apache Hadoop tests fail with UnknownHostException

Hello,

Have someone met the test failure of UnknownHostException when building
Apache Hadoop and running the tests on Linux? How did you deal with the
UnknownHostException?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Rongzheng

Posted by rongzheng yan <ro...@oracle.com>.
Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for your instruction.

However since I ran the build and tests inside a docker container, and I
am not the "root" user of the docker container, I cannot edit /etc/hosts
directly. But I can change /etc/hosts by adding some options in the
docker command before starting the build environment. Following is what
I changed:

In hadoop/start_ build_env.sh, the last command is

         "docker run --rm=true -t -i ...".

I added two options for this command:

          "docker run --hostname=rzhadoop
--add-host="rzhadoop:127.0.0.1" --add-host="localhost:172.17.0.22"
-rm=true -t -i ...".

"--hostname" option specifies the hostname of the docker container, and
"--add-host" option adds hostname:ip entry to /etc/hosts of the container.

Then I saved and ran hadoop/start_build_env.sh, and was directed into
the container. I ran "cat /etc/hosts":

royan@rzhadoop:~/hadoop$ cat /etc/hosts
172.17.0.22    rzhadoop
127.0.0.1    localhost
::1    localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0    ip6-localnet
ff00::0    ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1    ip6-allnodes
ff02::2    ip6-allrouters
127.0.0.1    rzhadoop
172.17.0.22    localhost

So instead of directly appending "rzhadoop" to "127.0.0.1 localhost", it
appends the new entries at the end of /etc/hosts. I am not sure if this
is equivalent to your instruction. But this approach does not work, and
I still got the same test failures due to UnknownHostException.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rongzheng

Posted by rongzheng yan <ro...@oracle.com>.