Posted to jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@ispsoft.de> on 2003/12/27 23:18:18 UTC

Request for "JaxMe Online"

Hi,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to make the following happen:

We have an application called "JaxMe Online". The application allows to
parse a file supplied by the user and return a ZIP file with the sources
generated by JaxMe.

To publish the application, we would need the following setup from
infrastructure:

- A machine running Tomcat 4 or something similar
- The possibility to drop a web archive into the container.
- A dedicated directory where temporary files are created.

Regards,

Jochen

Re: Request for "JaxMe Online"

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@ispsoft.de>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> If you provide a WAR file or an archive to be expanded, along with a sample
> context element, we can set it up on nagoya.  There are some alternatives,
> but that might be your best bet until new servers arrive and are put into
> service.
>
> How well checked for memory leaks is the code?

To check for memory leaks, I did the following: Started Tomcat and invoked
the JaxMeServlet 9088 times. The results have been:

- each request took about 1.7 seconds, which I think surprisingly fast
- the working directory has been cleaned up very well, no files have
   been left
- the size of the tomcat process grew from 30MB after the first request to
   38MB

I have no idea what memory is leaking, but I would hope this to be
sufficient, as 9000 requests seem to me to be a lot.

A war file (jaxme.war) is placed in ~jochen on cvs.apache.org. No special
context element is required, I have simply dropped the archive in the
webapps directory. However, the following parameters need to be adjusted
in web.xml:

     work.dir  Location of the directory for temporary files, for example
               /tmp; a subdirectory "jaxme" will be created. May be empty
               or missing, in which case the value ${java.io.tmpdir} will
	      be used
     http.proxyHost  Host name of a proxy server, if the servlet should use
               a proxy server to load external schema files. May be empty,
               or missing, in which case no proxy server will be used.
     http.proxyPort  Port number of a proxy server. Will only be used, if
               http.proxyHost is set, in which case it is required.

By default all of these variables are missing, so it should be fine to
leave the web.xml file untouched and simply drop the war archive into the
webapps directory. However, if you change any value, please let us know,
so that we change the defaults in the build script.

Jochen

RE: Request for "JaxMe Online"