Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1995/08/09 00:13:04 UTC

Apache and SSL/SHTTP

I've gotten three personal messages today asking about whether Apache
has/will have SSL or SHTTP support.  My stock answer is that, no, there
are no plans from the team members, but a group in Australia might be
working on a module for it, I don't know, go buy NetSite for now since
you'll need a key from RSA anyways to be put on their CA, the only active
CA netscape recognizes. Is this accurate? Could someone who is more
familiar with the situation 1) write something up for the web site, and
2) contact that group in Australia and see if they're interested?

Thanks.

	Brian

Re: Apache and SSL/SHTTP

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, David J. Hughes wrote:
> > I don't know, go buy NetSite for now since
> > you'll need a key from RSA anyways to be put on their CA, the only active
> > CA netscape recognizes. Is this accurate?
>
> That's the way it is at the moment.  I've been told that a "future
> release" of netscape will support other CA's but that's not confirmed at
> this stage (feel free to confirm this anyone ...)

Would a federal antitrust investigation help?  :):)

> > 2) contact that group in Australia and see if they're interested?
>
> I'll have a further chat with the guys and see how things are going.

Great!

	Brian

Re: Apache and SSL/SHTTP

Posted by "David J. Hughes" <ba...@Bond.edu.au>.

On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I've gotten three personal messages today asking about whether Apache
> has/will have SSL or SHTTP support.  My stock answer is that, no, there
> are no plans from the team members, but a group in Australia might be
> working on a module for it,

That's about the size of it.  NCSA and CERN are done (although there are
some problems with CGI's I believe).  Apache is on the list.

> I don't know, go buy NetSite for now since
> you'll need a key from RSA anyways to be put on their CA, the only active
> CA netscape recognizes. Is this accurate?

That's the way it is at the moment.  I've been told that a "future
release" of netscape will support other CA's but that's not confirmed at
this stage (feel free to confirm this anyone ...)

> 2) contact that group in Australia and see if they're interested?

I'll have a further chat with the guys and see how things are going.

Bambi