Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/21 18:42:53 UTC

What version of Lenya should I use?

Hi all.

I'm going to spend the next few days getting a project
into Lena, and I'm not too sure which of the three
available versions I should use.

1.4
----
Following the instructions at:

http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/installation/subversion.html

I ended up with an install of 1.4 - shouldn't the
instructions there point new users towards
BRANCH_1_2_X rather than the dev branch? Install under
tomcat5 and using Jetty seemed fine, but when I click
the link to login I get a blank page. Also I am
getting the encoding problem mentioned yesterday, an
image will be included with this mail - the problem is
visable when the page is viewed as "western european",
as UTF-8 it is fine. As I can't login I can't use
this.

1.2.x
-----
This I assume is the stable branch, however Bug#:
31283 hasn't been fixed - and it is a total show
stopper for me, you can't have a homepage in more than
the two encluded languages. And my whole reason for
using Lenya is the multi-language support.

incubating-lenya-1.2
---------------------
This seems to work fine, apart from also suffering
from the encoding problem, though not as badly as 1.4.
But as this version is now 4 months old, I have no
idea what bugs it could contain that I haven't
discovered yet, and have been fixed in 1.2.x

So I guess I will start off using
incubating-lenya-1.2, or does someone know something
about it that means I should steer well clear of it?

:)
daniel

Re: What version of Lenya should I use?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
daniel Griffith wrote:

[...]

>>Strange. Doesn't the browser recognize the encoding
>>automatically? It should always be interpreted as
>>UTF-8.
>>The screenshot shows the typical "the browser thinks
>>it's
>>ISO-8859-1" problem.
>

> Well, the browser from a clean install of XP/sp2 - IE
> 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2 is firmly convinced that the
> page is ISO-8859-1.

This is a known IE issue (google for more info).

> 1.2.1 is 1.2.x with the outstanding bug fixed?

Yes, some issues have been fixed, no additional
features were added.

-- Andreas

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
daniel Griffith wrote:

> 1.2.1 is 1.2.x with the outstanding bug fixed?

yes. for a current status of open 1.2 bugs:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2D331499

we will fix as many as possible of those for 1.2.1

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                          http://lenya.apache.org

Re: What version of Lenya should I use?

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
> > I ended up with an install of 1.4 - shouldn't the
> > instructions there point new users towards
> > BRANCH_1_2_X rather than the dev branch?
>
> Hmmm, IMHO not because this is rather suited for
> (potential) developers. But this is just my opinion.

I guess it depends if new users should be downloading
the 1.2 release or a release via svn. I think most
users of opensource software, developers or not, are
used to downloading a stable branch via svn/cvs - so
maybe the instructions for people on how to use svn to
get lenya should end up with them getting the stable
branch - "(potential) developers" will skip the
instructions:)

But this is just my opinion:)

> > Install under
> > tomcat5 and using Jetty seemed fine, but when I
> click
> > the link to login I get a blank page.
>
> Anything in the logs?

Included at the end of this email

> > Also I am
> > getting the encoding problem mentioned yesterday,
> an
> > image will be included with this mail - the
> problem is
> > visable when the page is viewed as "western
> european",
> > as UTF-8 it is fine. As I can't login I can't use
> > this.
>
> Strange. Doesn't the browser recognize the encoding
> automatically? It should always be interpreted as
> UTF-8.
> The screenshot shows the typical "the browser thinks
> it's
> ISO-8859-1" problem.

Well, the browser from a clean install of XP/sp2 - IE
6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2 is firmly convinced that the
page is ISO-8859-1.

> > So I guess I will start off using
> > incubating-lenya-1.2, or does someone know
> something
> > about it that means I should steer well clear of
> it?
>
> Some issues have been fixed since then. 1.2.1 will
> be
> released quite soon.

1.2.1 is 1.2.x with the outstanding bug fixed?

daniel

----

>From core:

INFO    (2004-10-21) 18:31.53:437
[core.program-generator]
(/default/authoring/index.html)
PoolThread-4/ProgramGeneratorImpl: The serverpage
[file:/C:/dev/lenya/svn/lenya-trunk/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/content/ac/login.xsp]
could not be preloaded, will be re-created
(org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException:
Unable to preload program
org\apache\cocoon\www\lenya\content\ac\login_xsp:
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException:
Could not load class for program
'org\apache\cocoon\www\lenya\content\ac\login_xsp' due
to a java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.cocoon.www.lenya.content.ac.login_xsp)

INFO    (2004-10-21) 18:31.57:062
[core.program-generator]
(/default/authoring/index.html)
PoolThread-4/ProgramGeneratorImpl: The serverpage
[file:/C:/dev/lenya/svn/lenya-trunk/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/resources/i18n/catalogue.xsp]
could not be preloaded, will be re-created
(org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException:
Unable to preload program
org\apache\cocoon\www\lenya\resources\i18n\catalogue_xsp:
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException:
Could not load class for program
'org\apache\cocoon\www\lenya\resources\i18n\catalogue_xsp'
due to a java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.cocoon.www.lenya.resources.i18n.catalogue_xsp)

INFO    (2004-10-21) 18:31.57:859
[core.i18n-bundles] (/default/authoring/index.html)
PoolThread-4/XMLResourceBundleFactory: Resource not
found: cmsui, locale: en, bundleName:
cocoon://i18n-catalogue/cmsui_en.xml. Exception:
org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: No
pipeline matched request: i18n-catalogue/cmsui_en.xml
INFO    (2004-10-21) 18:31.57:875
[core.i18n-bundles] (/default/authoring/index.html)
PoolThread-4/XMLResourceBundleFactory: Resource not
found: cmsui, locale: en_US, bundleName:
cocoon://i18n-catalogue/cmsui_en_US.xml. Exception:
org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: No
pipeline matched request:
i18n-catalogue/cmsui_en_US.xml

INFO    (2004-10-21) 18:32.10:531
[core.program-generator]
(/default/authoring/index.html)
PoolThread-4/ProgramGeneratorImpl: The serverpage
[file:/C:/dev/lenya/svn/lenya-trunk/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/pubs/default/../../config/parameters/default.xsp]
could not be preloaded, will be re-created
(org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException:
Unable to preload program
org\apache\cocoon\www\lenya\config\parameters\default_xsp:
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException:
Could not load class for program
'org\apache\cocoon\www\lenya\config\parameters\default_xsp'
due to a java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.cocoon.www.lenya.config.parameters.default_xsp)

INFO    (2004-10-21) 18:32.12:593
[core.program-generator]
(/default/authoring/index.html)
PoolThread-4/ProgramGeneratorImpl: The serverpage
[file:/C:/dev/lenya/svn/lenya-trunk/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/pubs/default/config/menus/generic.xsp]
could not be preloaded, will be re-created
(org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException:
Unable to preload program
org\apache\cocoon\www\lenya\pubs\default_\config\menus\generic_xsp:

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.