Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by S B <so...@yahoo.com> on 2009/09/23 18:32:15 UTC

Hadoop On Cluster

Hello Everyone!

May be a stupid question.

I want to install and configure Hadoop on a cluster for our users with SGE support.

We have a scrarch space that is NFS moutned across each of the compute nodes for every user on our system. Ideally I would like to set this up so that every user runs their hadoop job within their scratch space. Is this possible, if yes can you provide me some reference to any docs.

Does it defeat the Hadoop purpose/design of distributed resources and computing?

Thansks!
-SB

Re: Hadoop On Cluster

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
To amplify this point, don't try reading from mySQL with a whole bunch of
map tasks either.

It is very impressive how quickly Hadoop can take down a database.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Hadoop On Cluster

Posted by Brian Vargas <br...@ardvaark.net>.
Jeff,

Thanks for the advice.  I'll keep that in mind as we grow.  At present,
the cluster is only six machines, and for these small (2K-ish) scripts,
it has worked flawlessly, with the caveats mentioned.  When it starts
failing, or if I need to move beyond these very-small-sizes, I'll
certainly use the Distributed Cache.

Brian

Re: Hadoop On Cluster

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.