Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1995/12/16 19:22:40 UTC

CVS and generalising connections

Very quiet today, is there a problem? I know I've got a severe hangover, but
surely not all of you had their office Christmas do last night?

Anyway, to the point. There seems to be a movement in favour of trying CVS out
for future development. It is also opined that the delays to www.apache.org
will be tolerable in a remote CVS setup. I therefore call for a vote on the
following:

CVS will be installed and set up on www.apache.org, and used for all further
development of Apache 1.1 onwards.

Deadline: Tuesday 19th Dec, 09:00 GMT.

I vote +1.

Note that this doesn't imply that we are committed to CVS, its use can be
removed by a further vote.

Because of the power of CVS for harm as well as good, I also propose that we
have some rules for the use of CVS. I suggest these as a starting point:

1. Read only source access: granted to all comers.

2. Write source access: granted by a vote (under the same rules as patches) by
the Apache Group [possible variation: by those members of the Apache Group with
write source access]. Revoked by a similar vote (except the member in question
may not vote) [possible variation: or by an administrator].

3. Administrator access: granted by a vote as write source access, but with
the proviso that the owner of the CVS host may veto (because of security
implications). Revoked by a similar vote, or by the CVS host owner at his
discretion. Administrator access of course implies write source access.

Suggestions are, as always, welcome.

Cheers,

Ben (since it seems you can't get anything done around here without a vote).

London, England.