Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk> on 2006/08/28 11:34:44 UTC

Re: svn commit: r21289 - in trunk: build/ac-macros subversion/libsvn_ra_dav

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 03:35:12AM -0700, maxb@tigris.org wrote:
> Neon 0.26.x compatibility, at least for the Unix build.

You didn't add 0.26.[01] to NEON_ALLOWED_LIST.  Is there still some work
that needs to be done to get it to work properly?

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: svn commit: r21289 - in trunk: build/ac-macros subversion/libsvn_ra_dav

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Daniel Rall wrote:

> >> Yes, in theory.  I think that, historically, Neon hasn't been exactly
> >> stable over the sub-minor versions, and so the current 'approve known-good
> >> versions' approach evolved from that.  I don't know whether that approach
> >> is still necessary.
> >
> > That's why we have the explicit "allow list" in the first place.
> > Given the number of problems seen with Neon Windows auth, I tend to
> > think we should stick with this approach.
>
> I'm mainly looking to avoid a situation where neon 0.26.2 gets released,
> and people have to use --disable-neon-version-check until we get a patch
> release of Subversion out that validates it.
>
> That just seems overly messy. It would be bad for people to habituate to
> using --disable-neon-version-check as a matter of course.

I agree that that is a maintenance burden.  But is it worse than a
deluge of bug reports from an unverified, incompatible/buggy version
of Neon?  In the past, we thought so.  But perhaps as Neon matures,
that's no longer as much a need for worry?  (I hope so.)

- Dan

Re: svn commit: r21289 - in trunk: build/ac-macros subversion/libsvn_ra_dav

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Daniel Rall wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Malcolm Rowe wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 01:04:55PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>>> Speaking of which, isn't a list rather the wrong approach to take here?
>>>
>>> Shouldn't we accept:
>>>   * any 0.24.x where x >= 7
>>>   * any 0.25.x
>>>   * any 0.26.x
>>> ?
>>>
>> Yes, in theory.  I think that, historically, Neon hasn't been exactly
>> stable over the sub-minor versions, and so the current 'approve known-good
>> versions' approach evolved from that.  I don't know whether that approach
>> is still necessary.
>
> That's why we have the explicit "allow list" in the first place.
> Given the number of problems seen with Neon Windows auth, I tend to
> think we should stick with this approach.

I'm mainly looking to avoid a situation where neon 0.26.2 gets released,
and people have to use --disable-neon-version-check until we get a patch
release of Subversion out that validates it.

That just seems overly messy. It would be bad for people to habituate to
using --disable-neon-version-check as a matter of course.

Max.

Re: svn commit: r21289 - in trunk: build/ac-macros subversion/libsvn_ra_dav

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 03:35:12AM -0700, maxb@tigris.org wrote:
>> Neon 0.26.x compatibility, at least for the Unix build.
>>

> You didn't add 0.26.[01] to NEON_ALLOWED_LIST.  Is there still some work
> that needs to be done to get it to work properly?

Umm, oops. I've become so accustomed to --disable-neon-version-check
that I'd forgotten entirely about the NEON_ALLOWED_LIST.