Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Au-Yeung, Stella H" <st...@eds.com> on 2003/09/18 04:52:29 UTC

Tool to diagnose J2EE/Struts/Oracle problem

I am havng a No resource Available problem with my J2EE/Struts/Oracle
application.   It is saying I don't have any more Oracle connections
available.   Even I am closing the result set, statement and connection, I
am still running into the problem.   When I use the Oracle DBA monitor tool,
it shows that I have 10 'inactive' connection but then my app will give the
'no resource available' error.   So it looks like somehow it is not reusing
those inactive connections.   Does Gabage Collection release those
connections?  Does anyone have this problem before?

So I am looking for a better 'tool' to find out why GC doesn't release those
connections or if those 10 'inactive' connections are actually available to
be re-used.  Can someone give me a suggestion on this tool or how to
troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks
Stella

Re: Tool to diagnose J2EE/Struts/Oracle problem

Posted by Sgarlata Matt <sg...@bah.com>.
You should investigate using connection pooling, such as is offered by the
DBCP project, which is a Jakarta Commons subproject.  Garbage collection
does not release database connections.  I'm not sure on all the details why
not, but there are other reasons to use connection pooling such as
performance.

Posted by Mohd Amin Mohd Din <am...@nc.com.my>.
Is your oracle database configured properly? Try connecting multiple
users using oem or sqlplus to rule out is the issue is from the
database. I had a max cursor reached error before which was attributed
to not closing the preparedstatement. Another thing you may try is to
use the latest JDBC drivers. There are some issues with 9.0.3 and below
drivers, found out on hibernate site.

Amin

Posted by hari_s <ha...@indonesian-aerospace.com>.
I think you should try toplink from oracle for your connection to
database.