Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/20 04:37:19 UTC

"row-level transactions without using distributed locking or other synchronization mechanism"

The user manual says

"The Master assigns Tablets to one TabletServer at a time. This enables
row-level transactions to take place without using distributed locking or
some other complicated synchronization mechanism."

This reference is the only reference to transactions in the user manual.
Can this reference be expanded? Are there one or more specific uses cases
that be discussed?

Re: "row-level transactions without using distributed locking or other synchronization mechanism"

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Perhaps it's poorly worded (I'm not sure on that, as it seems fine to
me). But what it's getting at is that no more than one tablet server
at any given time is responsible for a given row. Therefore, multiple
updates to a single row can be accomplished atomically, in a single
mutation.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii