Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Philipp Snizek, seaan.net ag" <ps...@seaan.net> on 2005/02/08 07:32:44 UTC

SPF troubles with users@spamassassin....list

Hi

Yesterday I tried to post from my general mailinglist account
(mailinglists -at- belfin.ch) a question to
users@spamassassin.apache.org.
I got back a NDR saying:

< mx.seaan.net #5.0.0 X-SecureMail; host
mail.apache.org[209.237.227.199] said: 550    SPF forgery: Please see
http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=mailinglists%40belfin.ch&ip=213.2
00.246.230&receiver=hermes.apache.org    (in reply to RCPT TO
command)>

Being a bit surprised about that, I follwed the link to spf.pobox.com.
They are saying:

hermes.apache.org rejected a message claiming to be from
mailinglists@belfin.ch.

hermes.apache.org saw a message coming from the IP address
213.200.246.230 which is mx.seaan.net; the sender claimed to be
mailinglists@belfin.ch.

mx.seaan.net is approved for belfin.ch, so that mail should have been
accepted.
What should I do?

Wait a while, then try sending the message again. It should go through
this time.

Well, I did wait a while but I just got back NDRs. Could you please
investigate that?

Thank you & regards,
Philipp

Re: SPF troubles with users@spamassassin....list

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 07:32:44AM +0100, Philipp Snizek, seaan.net ag wrote:
> mx.seaan.net is approved for belfin.ch, so that mail should have been
> accepted.
> What should I do?
>
> Well, I did wait a while but I just got back NDRs. Could you please
> investigate that?

From a quick check, belfin.ch has multiple SPF records, which basically
confuses the receiver:

$ host -t txt belfin.ch
belfin.ch text "v=spf1 mx:mx.seaan.net -all"
belfin.ch text "v=spf1 a:mx.seaan.net -all"

There's only supposed to be 1 record, but there are 2.  Since there are no MX
RRs for mx.seaan.net, the message fails.

I think you want the single:

v=spf1 a:mx.seaan.net mx:mx.seaan.net -all

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
 Fry: I must be a robot. Why else would human women refuse to date me?