Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/23 13:50:09 UTC

[VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Here is a new RC candidate...

http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.3.0-RC3-rev1470846/

here is my +1

thanks for voting...

simon

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Simon Willnauer
<si...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Here is a new RC candidate...
>

> http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.3.0-RC3-rev1470846/
>
> here is my +1
>
> thanks for voting...
>
> simon

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

--
Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>.
+1 !

PyLucene 4.3 built from this RC rev builds and passes its tests.

Andi..

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hoss posting on SOLR-4729 reminded me that I'd like to get this bugfix into the next RC - I'll commit it to lucene_solr_4_3 now.

Simon, if you've already started an RC, that's fine, it's not super-critical that SOLR-4729 is included.

- Steve

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys,

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I committed a fix.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
+1 smoke tester happy here.

Shai

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1, smoke tester is happy.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
I know why the two .wars are different:

The binary package Solr war's target chain is:

   'package'->'create-package'->'dist'->'dist-war'->webapp:'dist'

The maven Solr war's target chain is:

   'generate-maven-artifacts'->webapp:'dist-maven'->webapp:'dist'

So both create the war using webapp:'dist', but only 'dist-war' passes in a modified 'exclude.from.war' property definition (which is empty by default):

      <property name="exclude.from.war" value="*slf4j*,log4j-*" />

I think the fix is to make the above the default setting, rather than passing in a non-default property value from 'dist-war'.

I'll make an issue.

Steve

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
It's a Maven problem as far as I'm concerned, and committers don't need to worry about Maven last we discussed, just the ones interested in Maven. So unless a Maven guy wants to address this, I'd say we are good to go!

I'd prefer Maven was downstream myself ;)

Everything else is as expected.

- Mark

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Patch up.

- Mark

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

 <http://www.opentext.com/2/email-signature-logo> http://www.opentext.com/2/emailsupport-logo-opentext-2010.gif

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

http://www.thetaphi.de<http://www.thetaphi.de/>

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Steve Molloy <sm...@opentext.com>.

[http://www.opentext.com/2/emailsupport-logo-opentext-2010.gif]<http://www.opentext.com/2/email-signature-logo>

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Yeah. I want to "catch" the common case. Somebody downloads the war from Maven and deploys it in his Tomcat. In that case the message should be displayed on SolrDispatchFilter startup. If the other servlets in Solr don’t use a logging impl, we are fine... Otherwise we can make some class LogInitializer and that’s used from all servlets to instantiate the logging framework for the private "log" field.

-----

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In my opinion shipping a war that does not actually work is broken, because its really no war at all.

We don't ship a war, we ship Solr. To use our war outside of what we ship, setup the logging as CHANGES says to do. It's actually all much easier and nicer than it was in the past.

It's all correct and many committers where involved in the changes.

Nothing is broken here.

- Mark

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Michael McCandless <
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > i dont understand logging at all... needing 6 or 7 jars to
> "System.out.println" is the most ridiculous thing in the world to me. So
> someone else will have to comment about "which one is right", the .tgz or
> maven
> >
> > but it seems totally broken for the war to have a bunch of extra jars in
> maven that it doesnt have in the tgz. If a user has a problem with logging
> (and since all these jars changed, i feel this is a possibility), no one
> will have a clue how to proceed. We could only ask... 'Which 4.3 are you
> using? 4.3-MAVEN or 4.3-TGZ?'
> >
> > Personally i'm -1 for us releasing different artifacts in maven than in
> the tgz because i strongly believe we should only have "one release" and
> not release different shit to different places. I'd rather us just not
> release any maven artifacts at all than do this (if you have no time to
> respin, just remove the maven artifacts from the RC and you will get my +1).
>
> I agree ... I think we should fix this and build a new RC.

I would try to help fix it: but its not clear to me which 'package' is
correct or what happened to logging at all in 4.3

The TGZ seems broken that it has no logging jars at all but solr code
relies upon it, so there is no way in hell thats actually working. This
means that .war file is totally unusable by itself... I think thats broken?

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i dont understand logging at all... needing 6 or 7 jars to "System.out.println" is the most ridiculous thing in the world to me. So someone else will have to comment about "which one is right", the .tgz or maven
>
> but it seems totally broken for the war to have a bunch of extra jars in maven that it doesnt have in the tgz. If a user has a problem with logging (and since all these jars changed, i feel this is a possibility), no one will have a clue how to proceed. We could only ask... 'Which 4.3 are you using? 4.3-MAVEN or 4.3-TGZ?'
>
> Personally i'm -1 for us releasing different artifacts in maven than in the tgz because i strongly believe we should only have "one release" and not release different shit to different places. I'd rather us just not release any maven artifacts at all than do this (if you have no time to respin, just remove the maven artifacts from the RC and you will get my +1).

I agree ... I think we should fix this and build a new RC.

Maven really should package the same things as the normal release
(this is why it REALLY should be a downstream thing...... but we've
had THAT discussion too many times already).

I'll fix the smokeTester to detect this (SOLR-4766).

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Ryan Ernst <ry...@iernst.net>.
-1

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

- Mark

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1, smoker is happy

On 24 April 2013 10:03, Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1, smoke tests pass.
>
> Tommaso
>

> 2013/4/23 Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>
>
>> Here is a new RC candidate...
>>

>> http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.3.0-RC3-rev1470846/
>>
>> here is my +1
>>
>> thanks for voting...
>>
>> simon

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1, smoke tests pass.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Solr 4.3.0 RC3

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
+1

It's nice to have EdgeNGramFilter doing the proper thing with token
position - all tokens are at the same position now.

-- Jack Krupansky