Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Richard Harding <rh...@msufame.msu.edu> on 2004/11/20 00:00:03 UTC

feeding spam messages for training

I am looking at getting messages together to train spamassassin and told
users to forward me messages that are spam that still get through. Is
this an ok method of collecting or will the fact that so many are
forwarded messages throw off the training?

I have thought about setting up a specific mailox for them to sent to,
but this will still be all forwarded messages.

Thanks for the tips.

Rick

Re: feeding spam messages for training

Posted by snowjack <sn...@fastmail.fm>.
Richard Harding wrote:
> I am looking at getting messages together to train spamassassin and told
> users to forward me messages that are spam that still get through. Is
> this an ok method of collecting or will the fact that so many are
> forwarded messages throw off the training?

In short, yes, it will not work as well as if you trained using the
original messages, because forwarding a message usually blows away all
the header goodness and replaces with new headers. But there are ways.

This is a FAQ:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ResendingMailWithHeaders
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/SiteWideBayesFeedback