Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Erik Holstad <er...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/03 18:52:29 UTC

Error in TBaseHelper compareTo(byte [] a , byte [] b)

Hey!
We are currently using Cassandra 0.5.1 and I'm getting a StackOverflowError
when
comparing two ColumnOrSuperColumn objects. It turns out the the comparTo
function
for byte [] has an infinite loop in libthrift-r820831.jar.

We are planning to upgrade to 0.6.1 but not ready to do it today', so just
wanted to check
if it is possible to get a jar where that bug has been fixed that works with
0.5, so we can
just replace it?

--
Regards Erik

Re: Error in TBaseHelper compareTo(byte [] a , byte [] b)

Posted by Erik Holstad <er...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jonathan!
Yeah, I will just wait until we are ready for upgrade and hold of on that
project for now.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Thrift is good about wire compatibility.  We're talking about running
Java code built against one API, against another version of the thrift
jar.  Different ball game.

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Anthony Molinaro
<an...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 05:46:51PM -0500, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>> You'd need to check out thrift r820831, fix the compareTo code, then
>> build a new jar.
>>
>> You can't just use the jar from 0.6 or from current thrift trunk
>> because Thrift breaks backwards compatibility frequently, and there
>> were such changes between our 0.5 and 0.6.
>
> Wow, what were the backwards compatibility breakages?  I've been testing
> using old thrift library for clients and new thrift for server, with
> inserts and fetches and so far haven't noticed any oddities.
>
> -Anthony

> Anthony Molinaro                           <an...@alumni.caltech.edu>

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
http://riptano.com

Re: Error in TBaseHelper compareTo(byte [] a , byte [] b)

Posted by Anthony Molinaro <an...@alumni.caltech.edu>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
You'd need to check out thrift r820831, fix the compareTo code, then
build a new jar.

You can't just use the jar from 0.6 or from current thrift trunk
because Thrift breaks backwards compatibility frequently, and there
were such changes between our 0.5 and 0.6.

So, yes, you could do it, but it's probably easier to upgrade to 0.6.
And a good idea anyway because of the other fixes that went in.