Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/02/21 14:30:04 UTC

Cornerstone tomorrow?

Hi fede,

you mentioned you were cleaning up avalon prepping for the move. How about
cornerstone. I will have some free time tomorrow and if I haven't heard
anything by then I will move across cornerstone to jakarta.

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 01:46  23/2/01 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 2/22/01 9:30 PM, "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> If theres a time issue you can shutdown the lists on monday/late sunday and
>> I will send out warnings etc. Re: CVS tree - you can move it to java-avalon
>> any time you want (just give us a ilttle warning) as it will mainly be used
>> for access to historic code.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Pete
>
>Uh. WTF? Fede, you are now loosing ALL of the previous commit information
>that was on these files. What were you thinking when you did this?

I suspect that was his purpose ;) We have so much cruft built up and
multiple directory structures and about a dozen different proposals that it
takes a *long* time to do a full update ;) However we do need to keep
history around which is why we were hoping you would place it in a historic
CVS ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/23/01 5:28 PM, "Federico Barbieri" <sc...@betaversion.org> wrote:

> Great. I whouln'd let anyone write to the historical archive... that's
> an archive, not a branch. We can jsut add a "history.txt" in the avalon,
> phoenix and cornerstone CVS. It whould be nice too to have a log of
> access to that archive so that we can see how many and who need it and
> give them the best support we can. Sounds reasonable?
>
> Fede

do whatever you want.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous
<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/> && <http://java.apache.org/turbine/>

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Federico Barbieri <sc...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/23/01 2:46 PM, "Federico Barbieri" <sc...@betaversion.org> wrote:

> It whould be
> nice thou to keep the old CVS available for a while for those who relay
> on that code.
>
> Fede

Bingo. That is the whole point of this discussion!

Anyway, I'm going to just copy the archives over to java-framework so that
at least some of your previous supporters can continue to look at the
history of the files.

sigh.

-jon

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Federico Barbieri <sc...@betaversion.org>.
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 2/23/01 2:13 PM, "Federico Barbieri" <sc...@betaversion.org> wrote:
>
> > I guess it's not the standard procedure but I really don't care about
> > all the cvs history. One of the reason is that with the split history
> > became quite meaningless. Avalon as it was a year ago is so different
> > from jakarta-avalon that it makes more sense to me to just use releases
> > as historical db.
> >
> > what's so wrong with this?
> >
> > Fede
>
> The world is MUCH larger than just what you happen to care about Fede.

It's not that I don't care about the world jon! I just think having the
history of cornerstone and phoenix in the jakarta-avalon cvs is wrong.
If you roll back you access a version that has nothing to do with the
current code.

> The fact of the matter is that other people might care about it. You are
> doing open development and you have absolutely no clue as to who else might
> be depending on your software.
>
> By screwing up the history on the files, you might as well just change
> methods without deprecating them as well....because who cares? You certainly
> don't.

FYI I almost started a flamewar becouse of some "unecessary deprecation"
that whould screw up other people work. I DO CARE about other people
work!

> One of the primary purposes of CVS is to keep a history of changes on files.
> How can you simply ignore that?

I may be wrong but again jakarta-avalon is a brand new product.
java.apache.framework history has few or nothing to do with current
code. So copying th history in the new CVS id IMHO wrong. It whould be

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Federico Barbieri <sc...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/22/01 9:30 PM, "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org> wrote:

> If theres a time issue you can shutdown the lists on monday/late sunday and
> I will send out warnings etc. Re: CVS tree - you can move it to java-avalon
> any time you want (just give us a ilttle warning) as it will mainly be used
> for access to historic code.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

Uh. WTF? Fede, you are now loosing ALL of the previous commit information
that was on these files. What were you thinking when you did this?

Before you guys make one single more commit to CVS, lets get this stuff
figured out. Ok?

[daedalus] 1:44pm ~ > cd /home/cvs/jakarta-avalon
[daedalus] 1:44pm jakarta-avalon > dir
total 28
drwxrwxr-x   5 donaldp  jakarta    512 Feb 23 02:47 .
drwxrwxr-x  85 root     apcvs     2560 Feb 23 13:28 ..
-r--r--r--   1 donaldp  jakarta   1174 Feb 19 14:19 .cvsignore,v
-r--r--r--   1 fede     jakarta   1944 Feb 23 02:47 README,v
-r--r--r--   1 fede     jakarta   1438 Feb 23 02:47 WARNING,v
-r-xr-xr-x   1 fede     jakarta    609 Feb 23 02:47 build.bat,v
-r--r--r--   1 fede     jakarta    590 Feb 23 02:47 build.sh,v
-r--r--r--   1 fede     jakarta  13078 Feb 23 02:47 build.xml,v
drwxrwxr-x   2 fede     jakarta    512 Feb 23 02:47 lib
drwxrwxr-x   6 fede     jakarta    512 Feb 23 02:37 src
drwxrwxr-x   4 fede     jakarta    512 Feb 23 02:36 tools

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Re: Cornerstone tomorrow?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Done.

You will now need go to cornerstone CVS to get the default demo server. I
will make packaging et al of it easier in the future.

At 12:30  22/2/01 +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
>Hi fede,
>
>you mentioned you were cleaning up avalon prepping for the move. How about
>cornerstone. I will have some free time tomorrow and if I haven't heard
>anything by then I will move across cornerstone to jakarta.
>

>Cheers,
>
>Pete

>| "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind, |
>| and proving that there is no need to do so - almost |
>| everyone gets busy on the proof."                   |
>|              - John Kenneth Galbraith               |

Cheers,

Pete