Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/29 18:36:18 UTC

[VOTE] 2.0.0 RC1

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the second candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.0.0.

This is a major version release of Apache Kafka. It includes 40 new  KIPs
and

several critical bug fixes. Please see the 2.0.0 release plan for more
details:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=80448820

A few notable highlights:

   - Prefixed wildcard ACLs (KIP-290), Fine grained ACLs for CreateTopics
   (KIP-277)
   - SASL/OAUTHBEARER implementation (KIP-255)
   - Improved quota communication and customization of quotas (KIP-219,
   KIP-257)
   - Efficient memory usage for down conversion (KIP-283)
   - Fix log divergence between leader and follower during fast leader
   failover (KIP-279)
   - Drop support for Java 7 and remove deprecated code including old scala
   clients
   - Connect REST extension plugin, support for externalizing secrets and
   improved error handling (KIP-285, KIP-297, KIP-298 etc.)
   - Scala API for Kafka Streams and other Streams API improvements
   (KIP-270, KIP-150, KIP-245, KIP-251 etc.)

Release notes for the 2.0.0 release:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Tuesday, July 3rd, 4pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:

http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc1/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

* Javadoc:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc1/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.0 branch) is the 2.0.0 tag:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/tree/2.0.0-rc1

* Documentation:

http://kafka.apache.org/20/documentation.html

* Protocol:

http://kafka.apache.org/20/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.0 branch:

Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-2.0-jdk8/66/

System tests: https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka/job/2.0/15/

Please test and verify the release artifacts and submit a vote for this RC
or report any issues so that we can fix them and roll out a new RC ASAP!

Although this release vote requires PMC votes to pass, testing, votes, and
bug
reports are valuable and appreciated from everyone.

Thanks,

Rajini

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC1

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Ran testAll/releaseTarGzAll on 1.1.0-rc0 tag
- Ran through quickstart of core/streams on builds.

Thanks,
Satish.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manikumar,

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manikumar,

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC1

Posted by Harsha Ch <ha...@fastmail.fm>.
+1 .

* Ran unit tests
* Verified signatures
* Ran 3 node cluster with basic operations

Thanks,
Harsha

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC1

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

We found a deadlock that affects metrics reporters that use synchronisation
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-7136). A fix has been merged.
I will create another RC that includes the fix for this as well as the PR
to update request versions in ReplicaFetcherThread (
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/5342/files). Will wait for the system
test run over the weekend and create a new RC on Monday.

Many thanks to everyone who tested and voted for RC1. Please help test RC2
next week if you have time.

Thank you,

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC1