Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Debashish Chakrabarty <de...@webdunia.com> on 2003/12/04 10:53:08 UTC

Is struts suitable for my app?

Since many of you have been seasoned Struts user, I wish to ask this question (posted on javaranch too, alas got no reply):

I am working on a utility API. Basically, this would be an web-app with a servlet that will load some data from various property/text files into Hashtables (or classes extending HT), cache it using OSCache for, say 1 week, and service client requests. This API or application would be made using Struts.
Another application (which can be any web-application, the Utlity API shouldn't bother about it), lets call it client application, has a servlet that will send request to this API (say request for translating a word to another language). The API will search for the translation in the Hashtables and return it to the servlet if found (or an empty string if not found).

I am really not able to imagine the design part of it. My API should have abstraction so that any client API can use it. The API on the other hand should be something like a service (apart from usual java classes) that updates the data after the OSCache TTL expires automatically. Actually I am envisaging a Servlet in the utility API because I need some sort of service that automatically reads the data from property/text files periodically (as per the TTL of OSCache) and has the Hashtables loaded in memory, ready to respond to the client Servlet.

I could have kept the hash data in a database but I want to avoid that. The data is not changing too frequently and is hence cached and updated only in say a week or so. The client Servlets would be given responses based on this cached data.

Is the Struts framework suitable for this server-side Utility API (I ask this especially beacuse this API does not need any gui except that for the administrator)?

Debashish Chakrabarty
http://www.jroller.com/page/debashish

How to use struts for multiple records..

Posted by vasudevrao gupta <va...@wipro.com>.
Hi All,

I have a search page through which the user will enter the search
criteria.I constructed an ActionForm to hold the search criteria.In the
Action class, I populate the values of Action Form in a DTO object and
pass it  my business service class.Business service class calls the Data
Access object which make a database query and gives me a result set
containing multiple records and each record contains multiple attribute.
Now, can anyone please suggest me on how to display  these records in a
simpler way using struts.

Regards
VasudevRao Gupta

Confidentiality Notice