Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Eric Siegerman <er...@telepres.com> on 2002/08/07 19:52:08 UTC

Beeps

Graph Results sometimes beeps during a test run.  Could someone
please explain what that means?  Some kind of error, presumably,
but what precisely?

It doesn't seem to correlate with any particular visible output.
I've heard it happen at about the same time as (a) a
ConcurrentModificationException, or (b) a bogus value being
displayed for "No of Samples"; but I've also:
  - seen (a) without hearing a beep (I think, but am not sure)
  - seen (b) without hearing a beep (I *am* sure)
  - heard beeps in the absence of those other things

I've checked the docs; no mention of it.  I've searched the
source for any keyword I could think of -- "beep", "bell",
"audio", "sound", "alarm", yada, yada; nothing even remotely
matches.

JMeter 1.7.2; Linux 2.2.17-21mdk kernel; Sun 1.4.0 JVM.

Thanks much.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics@telepres.com
|  |  /
Anyone who swims with the current will reach the big music steamship;
whoever swims against the current will perhaps reach the source.
	- Paul Schneider-Esleben

Re: Beeps

Posted by Eric Siegerman <er...@telepres.com>.
On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 02:54:07PM -0400, Mike Stover wrote:
> I've heard beeps too, but only when running many threads.  I  have no idea.

Oh, so it's a real mystery.  I'm glad I wasn't just failing to
look in some obvious place :-)

There's java.awt.Toolkit.beep().  JMeter doesn't call it
directly, but perhaps it's being called by something buried deep
in Swing or AWT.

> I'd like to hear
> more info about the ConcurrenModificationExceptions [...]

These have been discussed already, haven't they?  I don't have
much to add, but I'll post a stack trace the next time I see one.

> [...] and the bogus "No of Samples" values.

Not much I can say here either.  If I watch the Graph Results
display during a test run, the "No of Samples" counts up nicely
for the most part, but occasionally it'll display a huge,
many-digit number very briefly, then go back to (as far as I can
tell) where it should be.  Something like:
	318
	319
	320
	947284
	322
	323

I just made those numbers up; they are NOT anything I've actually
seen.  It goes by too quickly for that.  And also too quickly to
tell how the ok-looking numbers surrounding the bogus one relate
to each other; I've assumed that "947284" should have been "321"
and thus the next one is actually displayed as 322, but that's
only my assumption, so don't depend on it.

Re: Beeps

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
I've heard beeps too, but only when running many threads.  I  have no idea.  I'd like to hear
more info about the ConcurrenModificationExceptions and the bogus "No of Samples" values.

Toronto, eh?  So you're just across the water from me :-)

-Mike

On 7 Aug 2002 at 13:52, Eric Siegerman wrote:

> Graph Results sometimes beeps during a test run.  Could someone
> please explain what that means?  Some kind of error, presumably,
> but what precisely?
>
> It doesn't seem to correlate with any particular visible output.
> I've heard it happen at about the same time as (a) a
> ConcurrentModificationException, or (b) a bogus value being
> displayed for "No of Samples"; but I've also:
>   - seen (a) without hearing a beep (I think, but am not sure)
>   - seen (b) without hearing a beep (I *am* sure)
>   - heard beeps in the absence of those other things
>
> I've checked the docs; no mention of it.  I've searched the
> source for any keyword I could think of -- "beep", "bell",
> "audio", "sound", "alarm", yada, yada; nothing even remotely
> matches.
>
> JMeter 1.7.2; Linux 2.2.17-21mdk kernel; Sun 1.4.0 JVM.
>
> Thanks much.
>
> --
>
> |  | /\
> |-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics@telepres.com
> |  |  /
> Anyone who swims with the current will reach the big music steamship;
> whoever swims against the current will perhaps reach the source.
> 	- Paul Schneider-Esleben

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya