Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1997/10/20 18:18:33 UTC

Re: Change Request - No more .Z filesy

Randy Terbush wrote:

> From: Mustafa Akgul <ak...@Bilkent.EDU.TR>
>
> I  wonder whether  we  can  move away  from  tar.Z  files.
> It is redant and  costly:  bandwith  and  even  disk  space is a waste.
> We discuused  on the  pache-announce  list, nobody objected; some
> approved  the idea.
> Since gzip is  available  eveywhere, why do not we stop  carrying
> .tar.Z  file.

I'm 0 on removing the .Z stuff.

Re: Change Request - No more .Z filesy

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
I'm afraid I don't understand the need to get rid of the .Z files.  Sure,
most people have gzip but it takes so little effort to make .Zs that why
not?  I don't see how someone wanting to be a mirror can complain about
the bandwidth taken to transfer a single copy of each release when
compared to people actually downloading it, and I'm not sure disk space is
that big an issue.