Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Tony Collen <tc...@hist.umn.edu> on 2002/10/15 21:53:35 UTC

[RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout

*Huge* RT:

Has anyone thought of getting rid of the table-based layout in favor of
something that uses all CSS and super basic XHTML? Would this be welcome
at all?  I'd hate to see the nice "panel" navbar go away, but it's
possible to do that with CSS, too.  Maybe get rid of all the offending
there's a consensus that it would be useful.

Just food for thought,
Tony

Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> I'll check it out.  Is there a reason why you're sticking with the tables?

Supporting older browsers IIRC.

</Steven>

Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@apache.org>.
I created the basic skin for Forrest.
The browser target was NS4.x, IE4, Mozilla 1 and Lynx so I could not use a
lot of CSS.  Specially due to NS4.x.
As Forrest generates static pages I could not use browser detection.
If it would be decided to move Forrest to a NS6, IE5.5 minimum I could
simplify the pages a LOT by using CSS2.  I have recently received Eric
Meyer's book on CSS who goes into a great distance to use CSS in page
design.  The result is that the pages are a lot smaller and thus
faster.  The styling is done by the cached CSS file.

Bert

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@hist.umn.edu>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> *Huge* RT:
>
> Has anyone thought of getting rid of the table-based layout in favor of
> something that uses all CSS and super basic XHTML? Would this be welcome
> at all?  I'd hate to see the nice "panel" navbar go away, but it's
> possible to do that with CSS, too.  Maybe get rid of all the offending
> there's a consensus that it would be useful.

There is some intention to move the Cocoon documentation to the Forrest
format: http://xml.apache.org/forrest/ - while it isn't XHTML+CSS, we
tend to believe that it is better than the current xml.apache.org look&feel.

So if you feel like working on this, please don't hesitate to come over.

Regards,

</Steven>

Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.