Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by sanraj25 <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/24 15:54:39 UTC

Relation between SOLR and DB

Hi
       I want to know about any relation between SOLR and DB. Because we
want to use solr
and Innodb.If we change our table structure (Innodb or Mysam) any difference
is there.

and all data adding only solr db.Then why we worry about table structure in
database.I want some clear information.
So if i want to add more data,then memory in solr db only enough? or we need
to do any otherthing?

Thanks in advance

regards,
Santhanaraj R

Re: Relation between SOLR and DB

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM, sanraj25 <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>       I want to know about any relation between SOLR and DB. Because we
> want to use solr
> and Innodb.If we change our table structure (Innodb or Mysam) any
> difference
> is there.
>
> and all data adding only solr db.Then why we worry about table structure in
> database.I want some clear information.
> So if i want to add more data,then memory in solr db only enough? or we
> need
> to do any otherthing?
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> regards,
> Santhanaraj R

Firstly, Solr is not a database. It is a search server. Traditionally you
add data in the form of XML documents over an HTTP interface and search
through HTTP GET requests to get XML documents back. It is a war file which
you deploy in a application server such as Tomcat or Jetty. Therefore it
requires you to allocate enough memory (as per size of your data and search
needs)

Solr does not care about Innodb or MyISAM. Take a look at DataImportHandler
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler) to index data from DBs to
Solr.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.