Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Angelo Lazzari <la...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/07 20:11:32 UTC

Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Hi all,
I'm developing a flex mobile app with apache flex 4.9.

Using alivePDF swc the app creates a pdf file and next step is to show that pdf in the same mobile app.

I found a lot of sites/blog that speak about stagewebview and navigatetourl...etc etc but nothing seems to work properly.

Can you suggest me a sure method to open the pdf for ios and android devices?

Thank you very much and congratulation to everyone is working on apache flex project.

Bye,
Angelo

Sent from my 

Re: Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
Have you tried
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/filesystem/File.html#openWithDefaultApplication()

Posted by Margo Powell <mm...@ad.unc.edu>.
Perhaps these two links may help you with understanding directories on
mobile devices:

http://dlgsoftware.com/StageWebViewAndLocalFiles.php

http://www.cultcreative.com/tutorials/11/13/2011/local-file-access-editing-for-android-and-ios/

This is a quote from the first web page:

Here's the slightly longer answer: on Android your application is
contained in an .apk file, which is basically a .zip file. And that's
why the nativePath value returns a blank for these files: there's no
"real" file, there's just that compressed apk. If you want a file you
can work with then you have to extract it from that apk.

Regards
Margo

--
Margo Powell
Applications Analyst/MS Computer Science

Nutrition in Medicine Project
Nutrition Education for Practicing Physicians Initiative
Department of Nutrition
800 Eastowne Dr, Suite 100
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919-408-3320 ext 30
margo_powell@unc.edu
www.nutritioninmedicine.net

Re: Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/11/13 2:40 AM, "Philippe Bossu" <pb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Just to give you feedback.
>
> Copying document to  file.documentsDirectory and then calling ANE with the
> new path works.
> But using localStorage with ANE fails with Activity not finding file to
> open.
> And it fails even with setting :
> intent.addFlag(Intent.FLAG_GRANT_READ_URI_PERMISSION)
>
> This is strange to me.
> Any other feedback is welcome.

I'm not familiar how intents work, but isn't localStorage not truly visible
to the file system?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:40 AM, Philippe Bossu <pb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is strange to me.
> Any other feedback is welcome.

Due to the app that was made for this was the intended process. As such I
didn't go any deeper with it. If you decide to do more let me know. Other
than that, I'm glad it helped you out.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Posted by Philippe Bossu <pb...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Posted by Philippe Bossu <pb...@gmail.com>.
Shouldn't code call:

intent.addFlag(Intent.FLAG_GRANT_READ_URI_PERMISSION<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent.html#FLAG_GRANT_READ_URI_PERMISSION>
);

Posted by Philippe Bossu <pb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Posted by Philippe Bossu <pb...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Angelo Lazzari <la...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much!!I will!

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Show a pdf in a Flex mobile app

Posted by Angelo Lazzari <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Angelo Lazzari <la...@gmail.com>.
I'm sorry.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
For what its worth, Error #2044 usually occurs because of a an invalid
server side path

Explanation here: [1]

Are you sure you are calling the pdf with the correct url?

Thanks,
Om

[1]
http://www.judahfrangipane.com/blog/2007/01/01/error-2044-unhandled-ioerrorevent-texterror-2038-file-io-error/

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Angelo Lazzari <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Om,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomislav Pokrajcic <to...@svemir.net>.
On iOS you can just use StageWebView to open PDF docs. Should work
without problems and there are many code examples around.

Android is more complicated because it doesn't support viewing PDF in a
browser in general. Therefore StageWebView can't open it either.
There is only one solution to open PDF from AIR app and one workaround
(actually, both are workarounds).

1) Download PDF from a remote location and store it locally. Then use
some ANE to open it in a default viewer.
There are several native extensions around that can be used for this.

2) Convert PDF to HTML and images on the server side and open it in a
StageWebView
This is more complicated solution and depends on what you can do on server.
Some people use trick with Google docs and use it for converting PDF to
HTML.
This is an example:
http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf
However, if you have some confidential or private docs I wouldn't
recommend using Google docs hack.

I guess it's not what you wanted to hear, but hope it will save you some
research time...
Cheers,

Tomislav

Posted by Oliver Wiemer <o....@audiovisuellemedien.de>.
Hello Angelo,

i generate the pdf send it to the server and load it in a web view.
This ist the best way for me.

best regards
Olli