Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Some Guy <te...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/06 16:40:14 UTC

Re: Doing a subrequest with ap_run_sub_req

I wanted to do something similar, but the Apache 2 APIs require a
request_rec* in the lookup_uri method.  Tracing the code in request.c, it
uses the passed in request_rec* in make_sub_request.

The example Joe provided won't compile, and the request_rec can't be NULL
otherwise the code will segfault.  Any other ways to do this?

Posted by Some Guy <te...@gmail.com>.
This would have been in the parent process in the monitor hook or used in
the child init hook.  The ability to use it in either would be good.  I
think the easiest approach for me would be to use libCurl or an equivalent
simple client side lib.  I'm not sure how to properly populate a
request_rec* so I don't want to touch it, unless there are APIs that can
build one for me easily without relying on an existing request_rec* to begin
with.

Thanks for your help,

SB

Posted by Joe Lewis <jo...@joe-lewis.com>.

Posted by Some Guy <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Lewis <jo...@joe-lewis.com>.
On May 6, 2010, at 8:40 AM, Some Guy wrote:

> I wanted to do something similar, but the Apache 2 APIs require a
> request_rec* in the lookup_uri method.  Tracing the code in request.c, it
> uses the passed in request_rec* in make_sub_request.
>
> The example Joe provided won't compile, and the request_rec can't be NULL
> otherwise the code will segfault.  Any other ways to do this?

There are many ways - you can use libCURL to make the request, or you can revisit the two code examples I gave you.  One was from my memory, then realizing I had forgotten a lot of it, I scraped some code from a functional module.  Did you notice both examples?  The bottom one was just to point you in the right direction.  I have simplified the other one that I had scraped from a functional module, and stuffed it into a fresh module generated by "apxs -g -n subrequest", and it compiled quite nicely.  The diff :

47a48,55
>     request_rec	*subr;
>     int return_code;
>     subr = ap_sub_req_lookup_uri("/index.html",r,NULL);
>     if ((subr != NULL) && (subr->status == HTTP_OK)) {
>         return_code = ap_run_sub_req(subr);
>         ap_destroy_sub_req(subr);
>     }

I am presuming you copied and pasted my over simplified example at the bottom of my response rather than using the top code section.

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Joe Lewis <jo...@joe-lewis.com> wrote:
>
>> ((template_context *)f->ctx)->include_r =
>> ap_sub_req_lookup_uri(uri,f->r,((template_context
>> *)f->ctx)->include_filter);
>> apr_table_setn(((template_context
>> *)f->ctx)->include_r->notes,TEMPLATE_OVERRIDE_PARSER,"-");
>> if ((((template_context *)f->ctx)->include_r != NULL) &&
>> (((template_context *)f->ctx)->include_r->status == HTTP_OK)) {
>> #ifdef DEBUG
>> ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_DEBUG, 0, f->r, "mod_template:
>> mod_template_include() - calling ap_run_sub_req()");
>>
>> On Apr 20, 2010, at 2:20 PM, <ma...@dlr.de> <ma...@dlr.de>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi. Can I build a request completely free and send it with
>>> ap_run_sub_req? I could not find any good documentation or examples.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Markus