Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Robert J. Carr" <rj...@apl.washington.edu> on 2018/01/25 22:03:41 UTC

tomcat version question

Hello.

There is a "which version" page on the main site which is really useful,
and it lists all the versions of the various specs related to the version
of tomcat, but a really important one IMO that is missing is the Java EE
version, so I can look up the api docs.

Is there a reason why this is omitted?  Currently, I have to look up the
servlet spec, and then cross reference that with the Java EE to find the
appropriate docs.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks-
Robert

Re: tomcat version question

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Hello.
>
> There is a "which version" page on the main site which is really useful,
> and it lists all the versions of the various specs related to the version
> of tomcat, but a really important one IMO that is missing is the Java EE
> version, so I can look up the api docs.
>
> Is there a reason why this is omitted?  Currently, I have to look up the
> servlet spec, and then cross reference that with the Java EE to find the
> appropriate docs.
>
> Or am I missing something?

Have you seen the Specifications page in the Wiki?
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Specifications

I updated the whichversion page with a link to there (r1822243).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: tomcat version question

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/01/18 22:03, Robert J. Carr wrote:
> Hello.
>
> There is a "which version" page on the main site which is really useful,
> and it lists all the versions of the various specs related to the version
> of tomcat, but a really important one IMO that is missing is the Java EE
> version, so I can look up the api docs.
>
> Is there a reason why this is omitted?  Currently, I have to look up the
> servlet spec, and then cross reference that with the Java EE to find the
> appropriate docs.
>
> Or am I missing something?

Minimum Java version == Java EE version (at least for Tomcat 7.x, 8.x
and 9.x).

Tomcat doesn't implement the full Java EE spec so I'd be cautious about
listing it in case it causes confusion. If we can find the right wording
to use I wouldn't have any objection to adding a Java EE column.

What will happen now Java EE is moving to Eclipse is a whole other issue...

Mark