Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ian & Chris <ba...@optusnet.com.au> on 2006/02/18 05:17:34 UTC

Translets and thier use with FOP

I have created some styles sheets, and created some translets, I was
wondering if there is some easy way you associate translets with the command
line interface with FOP

I am currently using 2.0.5 of FOP, but can use 0.9x if this gives the
desired result.

It there any benefit in using translets, one I can see is that we can easily
package the translets into a JAR file, then use that with fop on the apps
server, but from a performance point of view is it beneficial?

Thanks Ian..

Re: Translets and thier use with FOP

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
The performance point certainly doesn't apply if you're talking about
the command-line, since the Java VM startup (plus class loading) will
certainly have more weight than the benefit from a precompiled
stylesheet. This only helps if you're running a server process.

However, I can understand that for certain applications it may be
desirable to deploy the stylesheets not in their source code but
compiled into Java byte code (confidentiality and such). I'd have to
look into how translets are used exactly so that I could give
suggestions here. So far, I've never used them. I can imagine that in
this case it may make sense to write a custom wrapper around FOP code
for this kind of application. Maybe someone else already has experience
with that and can tell what would need to be done. Patches for useful
things are always welcome.

On 18.02.2006 05:17:34 Ian & Chris wrote:
> I have created some styles sheets, and created some translets, I was
> wondering if there is some easy way you associate translets with the command
> line interface with FOP
>
> I am currently using 2.0.5 of FOP, but can use 0.9x if this gives the
> desired result.
>
> It there any benefit in using translets, one I can see is that we can easily
> package the translets into a JAR file, then use that with fop on the apps
> server, but from a performance point of view is it beneficial?

Jeremias Maerki