Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Javier Rodríguez Escolar <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/24 10:10:26 UTC

SCXML Listeners

Hello,

I was just starting to use your SCXML implementation and I have noticed that
if I use a SCXMLListener to perform some actions whenever some concrete
states are entered, the onEntry method is called after all the actions
specified on the <onentry/> element have been done. Due to the nature of my
specific use case I would prefer the onEntry method on the Listener to be
called before executing the onentry actions, so my questions are: is there
any reason for this behavior? is there any way to put my code when a state
is entered and before to the execution of the onentry actions?

Thanks,

Javi.

RE: SCXML Listeners

Posted by "THOMAS, JAYANT (ATTSI)" <jt...@att.com>.

>  I was just starting to use your SCXML implementation and I have noticed that
>  if I use a SCXMLListener to perform some actions whenever some concrete
>  states are entered, the onEntry method is called after all the actions
>  specified on the <onentry/> element have been done.
<snip/>

Yup, by design, all callbacks in SCXMLListener are after the
corresponding actions (for entry, transition or exit).

> Due to the nature of my
>  specific use case I would prefer the onEntry method on the Listener to be
>  called before executing the onentry actions, so my questions are: is there
>  any reason for this behavior? is there any way to put my code when a state
>  is entered and before to the execution of the onentry actions?
<snap/>

Model it in a custom action:

<onentry>
  <my:action ... />
  ... other actions ...
</onentry>

See:
  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide/custom-actions.html

More generally, for those just starting with Commons SCXML:
  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide.html
  http://commons.apache.org/scxml/usecases.html

-Rahul

Re: SCXML Listeners