Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Alex Ryu <al...@vt.edu> on 2023/03/03 00:12:52 UTC

[GSoC] Commom Math project questions

To whom it may concern,

Hello, my name is HyoungJoo Ryu.

I am interested in participating in Apache Software Foundation’s “Common
Math” project through Google Summer of Code this summer. Especially idea
#1: Redesign and modularize the “ml” package to enable multi-thread usage.

I am currently a sophomore student majoring in Computer Science at Virginia
Tech, and have a strong foundation in OOP especially in Java, and Data
Structures and Algorithms.

My question is that do we have to go through all the ideas in the idea list
for this project or is it there for us to select one from the list. Also I
am currently going through the “ML” package, and wondering if there are any
tips for newcomers going through the package and is there a way to discuss
my proposal with any potential mentors?

I believe that this project will provide me with a great opportunity to
expand my knowledge and expertise in programming. I am ready to learn as
much as possible and take on any new challenges, while making meaningful
contributions.

Best,

HyoungJoo Ryu

Re: [GSoC] Commom Math project questions

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Le ven. 3 mars 2023 à 01:13, Alex Ryu <al...@vt.edu> a écrit :

> To whom it may concern,
>

> Hello, my name is HyoungJoo Ryu.
>
> I am interested in participating in Apache Software Foundation’s “Common
> Math” project through Google Summer of Code this summer. Especially idea
> #1: Redesign and modularize the “ml” package to enable multi-thread usage.
>

> I am currently a sophomore student majoring in Computer Science at Virginia
> Tech, and have a strong foundation in OOP especially in Java, and Data
> Structures and Algorithms.
>

> My question is that do we have to go through all the ideas in the idea list
> for this project or is it there for us to select one from the list.

One or more, from the non-exhaustive list there, or other issues on the
bug-tracking system or a new feature (that is within scope).
But the ML area is pretty large already, indeed.
Also, note that there is pending work on a relatively recent proposal to
refactor the "genetics" package that could be rightfully included in that
project.

> Also I
> am currently going through the “ML” package, and wondering if there are any
> tips for newcomers going through the package and is there a way to discuss
> my proposal with any potential mentors?

This ML is usually the right place for a general discussion (e.g. new
feature, alternative designs, ...)
Technical details can then be further refined in JIRA reports dedicated
to specific tasks.

> I believe that this project will provide me with a great opportunity to
> expand my knowledge and expertise in programming. I am ready to learn as
> much as possible and take on any new challenges, while making meaningful
> contributions.

You are certainly welcome to contribute here.

Thanks for your interest,
Gilles