Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Bernd Waibel <BW...@intarsys.de> on 2016/08/16 18:51:55 UTC

AW: tags for releases? [unsigned]

Hi Alan,

a time ago I got the same question. So here what I did find out...

The james project did a move from svn to git.
But they did not move the tags from svn to git. In my opinion, this is very sad.
Maybe they did not move the old code history from svn to git, but I am not sure about that.

In the old SVN repositories, you could find the releases till 3.0 beta 4. But this work has been stopped.
The release tags did not move to git, so you could not find the last release tags in git.

The current work of progress is "3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT", so the next release will be the 3 beta5, developed with git.
The last stable was James 2 was v2.3.2.1, developed with svn.
The last release candidate of James 3 was v3.0.0-beta4, developed with svn.
James 3 and James 2 are very different.

James2, current work:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/
See here: http://james.apache.org/server/2/build_instructions.html
Last stable: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/2_3_2_1/
Last release candidate: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/james-server-3.0-beta4/

James3, current work, starting at a point of time after(!) 3.0.0-beta4 (not exactly beta4)
git://git.apache.org/james-project.git
http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/james-project.git
See here: http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html
No releases till now. No Tags, no versions.
The current apache git is mirrored to github, so see here:
https://github.com/apache/james-project

There are some github clones, as we did too:
https://github.com/intarsys/james-project

We just working on this:
- We did a github clone.
- We currently try to get this clone to become a "running" version, for our runtime.
- We do no feature development, we just want to get it runnable, so just fixing "not running" bugs, by using Pull Requests to the apache version.
- We do not need many features (as we do not need mailboxes, just acting as Message Transfer Agent MTA and Mailet runtime environment).
- We are using JDK1.8.
- It will compile, not all tests maybe.

So maybe you just want to use an own clone as fixed starting point?

Best regards
Bernd Waibel