Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ge...@yahoo.com on 2007/08/10 15:44:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Restarting

Hi everybody,

I would like to know what really happen when apache is
restarted. This is because I need to know the risks of
restarting during production time.

I mean, if, for example, a php is being attended and
at that moment I restart, does apache will wait until
the php finishes and give the generated response or it
will just kill every running/pending process? The same
question applies about mod_jk when attending java
proceses.

In fact, is there any risk about missing financial
transactions?

Thank you ;-)

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Restarting

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/10/07, gerocoma-forophp@yahoo.com <ge...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to know what really happen when apache is
> restarted. This is because I need to know the risks of
> restarting during production time.
>
> I mean, if, for example, a php is being attended and
> at that moment I restart, does apache will wait until
> the php finishes and give the generated response or it
> will just kill every running/pending process? The same
> question applies about mod_jk when attending java
> proceses.
>
> In fact, is there any risk about missing financial
> transactions?

This is discussed here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/stopping.html

The punchline is that, as long as you use a graceful restart, no
existing requests or connections are lost.

But whether there is any "risk about missing financial transactions"
depends on a whole lot of things beside the apache restart code ;-)

Joshua.