Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> on 2012/06/23 15:29:40 UTC

Verify plugin.xml after migrating to annotations

Hi,

For the maven-release-plugin I've migrated the doclettags to annotations.
To confirm I did it all well, I compared the plugin.xml with the latest
release.
After reordering the XML I see some small differences, but I'd like to get
the confirmation these are no issues.
In general:
- requiresDependencyResolution is always added with value 'runtime'
- phase is always added without value ( related to MPLUGIN-213? )
- requiresDependencyCollection is always added with default value 'runtime'
- when @since is available, it is added
- project, session and settings have an implementation and required is
false (was true)
- elements within <configuration> have an explicit closing tag if there's
no content (was a compressed tag like <foo implementation="a.b.C"/>)
- role-hint-tag with empty content is added if there's no role-hint
(wasn't there, IIRC this could be an issue)

thanks,

Robert

Re: Verify plugin.xml after migrating to annotations

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le dimanche 24 juin 2012 14:22:43 Robert Scholte a écrit :
> Thanks for fixing this.
>
> btw, the move from expression to property works out even better than
> expected
nice to hear: we had a long discussion to choose it, glad to know the result
was worth it :)

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Thanks for fixing this.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le dimanche 24 juin 2012 10:06:05 Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
> Le samedi 23 juin 2012 15:29:40 Robert Scholte a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > For the maven-release-plugin I've migrated the doclettags to annotations.
> > To confirm I did it all well, I compared the plugin.xml with the latest
> > release.
> > After reordering the XML I see some small differences, but I'd like to get
> > the confirmation these are no issues.
> > In general:
> > - requiresDependencyResolution is always added with value 'runtime'
> > - requiresDependencyCollection is always added with default value
> > 'runtime'
>
> IIUC, runtime dependencies are resolved to let the plugin run inside Maven,
> so the minimum resolution is runtime: having it written in the descriptor
> makes things more explicit but does not change anything
> so it's an expected change considered better (more explicit)
my bad, completely wrong reasoning, I mixed use cases

problem fixed in MPLUGIN-216

Re: Verify plugin.xml after migrating to annotations

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le samedi 23 juin 2012 15:29:40 Robert Scholte a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> For the maven-release-plugin I've migrated the doclettags to annotations.
> To confirm I did it all well, I compared the plugin.xml with the latest
> release.
> After reordering the XML I see some small differences, but I'd like to get
> the confirmation these are no issues.
> In general:
> - requiresDependencyResolution is always added with value 'runtime'
> - requiresDependencyCollection is always added with default value 'runtime'
IIUC, runtime dependencies are resolved to let the plugin run inside Maven, so
the minimum resolution is runtime: having it written in the descriptor makes
things more explicit but does not change anything
so it's an expected change considered better (more explicit)

> - phase is always added without value ( related to MPLUGIN-213? )
I suppose it is MPLUGIN-213, didn't investigate

> - when @since is available, it is added
MPLUGIN-207

> - project, session and settings have an implementation and required is
> false (was true)
I think it doesn't have any impact since it is not injected by Plexus but
maven objects injection (MPLUGIN-204): I suppose I should update the pattern
to generate same descriptor as previously just to be sure nobody is afraid :)
MPLUGIN-214 created

> - elements within <configuration> have an explicit closing tag if there's
> no content (was a compressed tag like <foo implementation="a.b.C"/>)
must investigate

> - role-hint-tag with empty content is added if there's no role-hint
> (wasn't there, IIRC this could be an issue)
must investigate, but yes, this seems problematic

> thanks,
>
> Robert

thanks for your report: it is really useful

Regards,

Hervé