Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/03/05 19:20:15 UTC

Re: New page: Contributing Code

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 13/02/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> For example, I've seen it written that to
>> contribute to AOO means that you must transfer ownership of the code
>> to teh ASF.  Of course, this is not true. You retain the ownership
>

> I added a sentence about this to
> http://openoffice.apache.org/contributing-code.html
> since this is a common misconception indeed. The rest of the page is really
> informative, it deserves publicity!

Thanks.  I'm hoping it does just that -- clear up any confusion.

However, it is hard to be both concise and accurate.  As we know the
ASF policy in this area is nuanced, and a contribution is more the
start of a process than a single instant event.

For example, the page currently says, "The code must be under the
Apache License 2.0. Any dependencies must also be under that license
or a similar permissive license."

This is a fair piece of advise, but we know that the truth is far more
complicated.  There can be some non-permissive dependencies, in binary
form, with some licenses, for example.  But if we had to explain it
completely the page would unnecessarily duplicate what already exists
elsewhere on apache.org.  And unfortunately what already exists is
inscrutable to the typical reader of that page.

But I did recently think about an alternative way of expressing the
requirement, which might show the flexibility inherent in the process.
 Instead of talking directly about the license, we could say something
like this:

"-- The code must be contributed by or with permission of the original
author(s) of the code.  Dependencies on 3rd party libraries should be
discussed on the dev list, to see how these can be brought into
conformance with ASF policy."

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.
Andrea Pescetti wrote on Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 10:01:03 +0100:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>> OK. Feel free to update the language.  I think we agree on the facts.
>> It is just a matter of making it clear.
>
> Done at http://openoffice.apache.org/contributing-code.html (first
> bullet item). Feel free to review/modify again if further clarifications
> are needed.

+1, looks good to me.

Re: New page: Contributing Code

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 5 March 2013 19:20, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On 13/02/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> >>
> >> For example, I've seen it written that to
> >> contribute to AOO means that you must transfer ownership of the code
> >> to teh ASF.  Of course, this is not true. You retain the ownership
> >

> > I added a sentence about this to
> > http://openoffice.apache.org/contributing-code.html
> > since this is a common misconception indeed. The rest of the page is
> really
> > informative, it deserves publicity!
> >

> Thanks.  I'm hoping it does just that -- clear up any confusion.
>
> However, it is hard to be both concise and accurate.  As we know the
> ASF policy in this area is nuanced, and a contribution is more the
> start of a process than a single instant event.
>
> For example, the page currently says, "The code must be under the
> Apache License 2.0. Any dependencies must also be under that license
> or a similar permissive license."
>
> This is a fair piece of advise, but we know that the truth is far more
> complicated.  There can be some non-permissive dependencies, in binary
> form, with some licenses, for example.  But if we had to explain it
> completely the page would unnecessarily duplicate what already exists
> elsewhere on apache.org.  And unfortunately what already exists is
> inscrutable to the typical reader of that page.
>
> But I did recently think about an alternative way of expressing the
> requirement, which might show the flexibility inherent in the process.
>  Instead of talking directly about the license, we could say something
> like this:
>
> "-- The code must be contributed by or with permission of the original
> author(s) of the code.  Dependencies on 3rd party libraries should be
> discussed on the dev list, to see how these can be brought into
> conformance with ASF policy."

+1 that is a very clear formulation. I should I assume read libraries/tools.