Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by François Rousseau <fr...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/17 16:57:50 UTC

strange entries in log

Hello,

I just notice that I have many time the same strange line in my spamd
log.  Anyone have an idea about this?

SpamAssassin Server version 3.2.5

log entries:
Sep 16 18:08:06 myhostname spamd[2008]:
s-female-silhouettes-beverages-film-hearts-music-notes-and-thea...
Sep 16 18:08:06 myhostname spamd[2008]: truncated to 63 octets
(RFC1035 2.3.1) at /usr/lib/perl5/Net/DNS/Question.pm line 233

Thanks,
François

Re: strange entries in log

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 17.09.09 16:11, François Rousseau wrote:
> Thanks for the information.
>
> If I understand correctly, an email is scan by spamassassin and in
> this email, a link or a headers point to a an "invalid" domain.

yes. I wonder if that was some invalid hostname/uri in mail or just
something what was misunderstood and checked (and since spammers try to hide
those, I don't object against testing anything that could be an
uri/hostname).

Linux is like a teepee: no Windows, no Gates and an apache inside...

Re: strange entries in log

Posted by François Rousseau <fr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the information.

Re: strange entries in log

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.

Re: strange entries in log

Posted by Jason Bertoch <ja...@i6ix.com>.
Jason Bertoch wrote:
> Per Jessen wrote:
>> A domain name component cannot be more than 63 characters.
> I am under the impression that host names are limited to 255
> characters.  Maybe I missed something in the RFC?
Hmm, I suppose I did get it wrong...I misunderstood the definition of label.

Re: strange entries in log

Posted by Jason Bertoch <ja...@i6ix.com>.

Re: strange entries in log

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
François Rousseau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just notice that I have many time the same strange line in my spamd
> log.  Anyone have an idea about this?
>
> SpamAssassin Server version 3.2.5
>
> log entries:
> Sep 16 18:08:06 myhostname spamd[2008]:
> s-female-silhouettes-beverages-film-hearts-music-notes-and-thea...
> Sep 16 18:08:06 myhostname spamd[2008]: truncated to 63 octets
> (RFC1035 2.3.1) at /usr/lib/perl5/Net/DNS/Question.pm line 233

A domain name component cannot be more than 63 characters.

/Per Jessen, Zürich