Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com> on 2011/08/10 20:44:38 UTC

linked in spam/return path certified spam

back in (January), we discussed two things
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/201101.mbox/%3C4D401A96.4000000@secnap.com%3E>

#1, having a change in the description of these auto whitelisted spammers,
#2, return path cleaning out their spammers.

got this spam from linked in:

<http://pastebin.com/0vugB6fc>

you can't unsubscribe, not without becoming a member.
(that link is NOT an unsubscribe link.)

linked in members can download a list of email addresses they have
purchased, and SPAM YOU.
(and you can't opt out without joining linked in.. and by joining linked
in, you have given them permission to spam you)

companies that have automatic whitelisting that is included in
spamassassin should have an easier way of reporting abuse.
dnswl has (its easy to find on their web site), but how and why they can
give them a dnswl_med when you can't unsubscribe is beyond me.
you still don't have anything in the description on these rules.

     DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED=-2.3,
  , RCVD_IN_RP_CERTIFIED=-0.01,
     RCVD_IN_RP_SAFE=-0.01,

I googled for about 20 mins, and finally found this:
certification@returnpath.net

it is NOT on their web site:
google  site:returnpath.net report+spam
(something about hitting the 'report spam' button) which linked  in does
NOT have in their spam.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Best Mobile Solutions Product of 2011
    * Best Intrusion Prevention Product
    * Hot Company Finalist 2011
    * Best Email Security Product
    * Certified SNORT Integrator

Re: linked in spam/return path certified spam

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Michael Scheidell wrote:
> got this spam from linked in:
>
> <http://pastebin.com/0vugB6fc>
>
> you can't unsubscribe, not without becoming a member.
> (that link is NOT an unsubscribe link.)

*nods*  I've gone a couple of rounds several times with their support
drones trying to get it through that, as a mail admin, I would
appreciate it if their "Hey, Bob has invited you to join!" messages
included a "Don't bug me again" link, so I can advise customers
receiving these (and not wanting them) to just click the link and not be
contacted again.

I'm pretty sure I never really got it through their heads.  :(

I've pretty much given up, and taken to just adding a suitable blacklist
filter rule to our SA glue layer for customers reporting these things.
At least they'll never see another LinkedIn message in their inbox that
way....

-kgd

Re: linked in spam/return path certified spam

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.
am 11.08.11 00:31 schrieb Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:23:38 +0200, Jim Knuth wrote:
>
>>> cat /etc/postfix/sender_envelope_blacklist_domains
>>> linkedin.com REJECT
>>> .linkedin.com REJECT
>>
>> the dot is not necessary
>> only linkedin.com REJECT - nothing more ;)
>
> so accept bounce.linkedin.com ?

yes. accepted ALL before linkedin.com AND only linkedin.com.
In Postfix is that without dot ready.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
with kind regards,

Re: linked in spam/return path certified spam

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
with kind regards,

Nicht durch Zorn, sondern durch Lachen tötet man.
[Nietzsche]

Re: linked in spam/return path certified spam

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.