Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Sasha Klizhentas <sa...@mailgunhq.com> on 2013/12/05 02:46:01 UTC

Kafka rest endpoint: early feedback

Hi All,

I've started working on Kafka rest endpoint to make it easier to interface
with Kafka from non JVM based languages and avoid writing high level
consumer/producer client and zookeeper coordination.

Here's early version:

https://github.com/mailgun/kafka/compare/sasha;dev

And draft API:

https://github.com/mailgun/kafka/blob/sasha/dev/contrib/rest/README.md

I'd love to hear the feedback on the endpoint in it's early stage
especially on the following:

* Does it make sense to develop it in contrib folder or should I make it as
a separate project right from the start?
* Consumer endpoint mutex access, does it make sense to serialize access
like this:

https://github.com/mailgun/kafka/blob/sasha/dev/contrib/rest/src/main/scala/kafka/rest/ConsumerServlet.scala#L77

General advice about the implementation is also appreciated.

Thanks,
Sasha

Re: Kafka rest endpoint: early feedback

Posted by Sasha Klizhentas <sa...@mailgunhq.com>.
Jun,

Thanks for the feedback, will go ahead and make it a separate project then.

Thanks,
Sasha

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Sasha,

Posted by Sasha Klizhentas <sa...@mailgunhq.com>.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link, will definitely look into it!

Sasha

Posted by Steve Morin <st...@stevemorin.com>.
Sasha,