Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Ksenia Khailenko <xe...@tut.by> on 2011/06/20 19:35:31 UTC

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Hi there!

Eshan, I've applied your patch, and here're some comments:

1) cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-II - let's choose some more meaningful
name for the project… Say, while it is experimental it can be
cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-gsoc, and then when we will finish - just
cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin.. I don't like this "II" very much..

2) the root folder ("cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-II" for now) should also
be included into the patch

3)pom.xml:
<bundle.symbolicName>cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin</bundle.symbolicName>
the symbolic name,artifactId,  and the name of the project should be equal
to the enclosing folder - that's why it is so important to choose the good
name for it; and also, please format your code

4) plugin.patch is useless here - I've included this file into my project in
order not to forget some details from the old Cay-1392, but you don't need
it

5) as for dependencies - are sure we can't use some public repository? say,
this one:
http://www.mvnbrowser.com/artifacts-browse.html?groupId=org.eclipse ? as I
can see, there all the needed dependencies here

6) Add some picture for your editor - hard to find it in list

7) try to launch your plugin not as eclipse application, but as standalone
artifact - the simplest way, when you are copying your jar into plugins
eclipse folder and launching eclipse. this may be not so easy…

I've just tested the building and launching of the project, haven't looked
in depth, but in general, it looks nice, good work!:) I'm looking forward
for your further updates.

--
Regards, Ksenia Khailenko

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Eshan Sudharaka <es...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. Now it is ok. Now i am trying to build same manifest file using
maven felix plugin. otherwise i have to create plugin jar file manually by
putting third party libraries in to it and also when i add a new dependency
i need to update manifest file as well.

--
*~Thanks & Regards~*
***

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Eshan Sudharaka <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Eshan Sudharaka <es...@gmail.com>.
Manifest-Version: 1.0

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Eshan Sudharaka <es...@gmail.com>.
hi,

--
*~Thanks & Regards~*
***

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Ah, thanks for clarification!

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Andrey

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.
Let me join the discussion..

--
Andrey

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 21/06/11 4:06 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Relying on random public repos can be treacherous. Artifacts there can come and go without notice. For now I feel like the safest way is to keep maintaining the "dependencies" file that Eshan put in Jira for things that are not in central, and put them in the repo that we control (ObjectStyle.org ... should prolly install a repo manager on that server to simplify maintenance).

Isn't there a process for submitting artifacts to central? Then we also speed up the build process and not depend on Objectstyle having to maintain a repository.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Jun 20, 2011, at 8:35 PM, Ksenia Khailenko wrote:

> 5) as for dependencies - are sure we can't use some public repository? say,
> this one:
> http://www.mvnbrowser.com/artifacts-browse.html?groupId=org.eclipse ? as I
> can see, there all the needed dependencies here

Relying on random public repos can be treacherous. Artifacts there can come and go without notice. For now I feel like the safest way is to keep maintaining the "dependencies" file that Eshan put in Jira for things that are not in central, and put them in the repo that we control (ObjectStyle.org ... should prolly install a repo manager on that server to simplify maintenance).

Also I noticed that Tycho project (http://www.eclipse.org/tycho/) seems to allow access to Eclipse p2 repositories. Not being an Eclipse developer I've no idea whether those contain needed artifacts, but from those 15 minutes that I spent reading on it, that might be *the way* to handle dependencies. Can somebody comment on that?

Andrus

Re: Gsoc project Patch

Posted by Eshan Sudharaka <es...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Ksenia Khailenko
<xe...@tut.by>wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Eshan, I've applied your patch, and here're some comments:
>
> 1) cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-II - let's choose some more meaningful
> name for the project… Say, while it is experimental it can be
> cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-gsoc, and then when we will finish - just
> cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin.. I don't like this "II" very much..
>
> 2) the root folder ("cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-II" for now) should
> also
> be included into the patch
>
> 3)pom.xml:
> <bundle.symbolicName>cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin</bundle.symbolicName>
> the symbolic name,artifactId,  and the name of the project should be equal
> to the enclosing folder - that's why it is so important to choose the good
> name for it; and also, please format your code
>
> 4) plugin.patch is useless here - I've included this file into my project
> in
> order not to forget some details from the old Cay-1392, but you don't need
> it
>
> 5) as for dependencies - are sure we can't use some public repository? say,
> this one:
> http://www.mvnbrowser.com/artifacts-browse.html?groupId=org.eclipse ? as I
> can see, there all the needed dependencies here
>
> 6) Add some picture for your editor - hard to find it in list
>
> I added cayenne.png as the icon for editor. But it seems image size is too
large so it is not appear on the editor (I tested icon configuration with
eclipse giff image and it is working).

--
*~Thanks & Regards~*
***