Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> on 2007/02/09 14:51:44 UTC

Where to place jspf beta release ?

Hi guys,

i want to move the jspf beta release to the final place, but I can't
remember where to put it  ( shame on me). If I remember correct the
people.apache.org is not valid anymore for such purposes..
Anyone can tell me where I can drop the tarballs ?

bye
Norman

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

i.A. Norman Maurer
Systemadministrator

ByteAction GmbH
Auf der Beune 83-85
64839 Münster

Phone:   +49 (0) 60 71 92 16 - 21
Fax:       +49 (0) 60 71 92 16 - 20
E-mail:    nm@byteaction.de
Internet: www.byteaction.de
AG Darmstadt, HRB 33271
Ust-Id: DE206997247
GF: Thomas Volkert
Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche Informationen und ist nur für den in der E-Mail genannten Adressaten bestimmt. Für den Fall, dass der Empfänger dieser E-Mail nicht der in der E-Mail benannte Adressat ist, weisen wir darauf hin, dass das Lesen, Kopieren, die Wiedergabe, Verbreitung, Vervielfältigung, Bekanntmachung, Veränderung, Verteilung und/oder Veröffentlichung der E-Mail strengstens untersagt ist. Bitte verständigen Sie den Absender dieser E-Mail unter folgender Rufnummer +49 (0) 6071 / 9216-0, falls Sie irrtümlich diese E-Mail erhalten haben und löschen Sie diese E-Mail. Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail ist nur rechtsverbindlich, wenn er von unserer Seite schriftlich durch Brief oder Telefax bestätigt wird. Die Versendung von E-Mails an uns hat keine fristwahrende Wirkung.

This e-mail contains information which is privileged and is intended only for the Addressee named in the e-mail. In case that the recipient of this e-mail is not the named addressee, we would like to inform you that it is strictly prohibited to read, to reproduce, to disseminate, to copy, to disclose, to modify, to distribute and/or to publish this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please call the sender under following telephone number +49 (0) 6071 / 9216-0 and delete this e-mail. The content of this e-mail is not legally binding unless confirmed by letter or telefax. E-mails which are sent to us do not constitute compliance with any time limits or deadlines.

Re: Where to place jspf beta release ?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer ha scritto:
> Hi guys,
>
> i want to move the jspf beta release to the final place, but I can't
> remember where to put it  ( shame on me). If I remember correct the
> people.apache.org is not valid anymore for such purposes..
> Anyone can tell me where I can drop the tarballs ?
>
> bye
> Norman

The updated release guidelines published here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

Seems to suggest that anything we voted to publish is an official
release and belongs to  http://www.apache.org/dist
We have to take care to mark it as BETA stage, but it has been
officially supported and VOTEd.

Otherwise we can do developer builds that do not need to be voted and we
can publish them on people (http://people.apache.org/builds/) but we can
only publicize it on server-dev and not on the website or elsewhere.

Quotes from the guidelines:

"If the general public is being instructed to download a package, then
that package has been released"

"Releases are packages that have been approved for general public
release, with varying degrees of caveat regarding their perceived
quality or potential for change. Releases that are intended for everyday
usage by non-developers are usually referred to as "stable" or "general
availability (GA)" releases. Releases that are believed to be usable by
testers and developers outside the project, but perhaps not yet stable
in terms of features or functionality, are usually referred to as "beta"
or "unstable". Releases that only represent a project milestone and are
intended only for bleeding-edge developers working outside the project
are called "alpha"."

So jspf-b4 is an official release (we had a vote) and we refer to it as
beta or unstable.

I think you should use http://www.apache.org/dist/james/jspf/unstable/
or http://www.apache.org/dist/james/jspf/beta/

Stefano

Re: Where to place jspf beta release ?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
> > On 2/9/07, Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> +1 to http://www.apache.org/dist/james/jspf/beta/
> >>
> >> not "unstable"
> >
> > FWIW i've had bad experiences after dubbing releases (of this kind)
> > 'beta'. i now strongly recommend using the 0.x convention (since it
> > more accurately conveys the intent).
> >
> > - robert
>
> I have no preferences: should we name the next release 0.9.5, using the
> last number instead of the beta number?
>
> Robert: is your note related also to the folder used to publish the
> artifact or only to the name/number of the released artifact?

just naming and numbering

- robert

Re: Where to place jspf beta release ?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/07, Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin schrieb:
> > On 2/9/07, Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> +1 to http://www.apache.org/dist/james/jspf/beta/
> >>
> >> not "unstable"
> >
> > FWIW i've had bad experiences after dubbing releases (of this kind)
> > 'beta'. i now strongly recommend using the 0.x convention (since it
> > more accurately conveys the intent).
> >
> > - robert
> >

> We had some "discussion" about that in the past. Noel told us that we
> should use the beta label if remember right. He argue that there are a
> lot of "stable" projects out there which never reach the 1.x version number.

the problem is that beta is a term that's used with widely varying
meanings and so releasing a beta targeted at users (rather than
developers) tends to produce confusion about which version users are
supposed to download. on occasion, i've been asked questions about
beta that i thought were dead years ago. betas often given dependency
management software difficulties as well.

i now use beta's only for developer releases now

> Btw, im happy with the label or without it.

the beta designation was the one voted for and you should keep that label

- robert

Re: Where to place jspf beta release ?

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.
robert burrell donkin schrieb:
> On 2/9/07, Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> wrote:
>> robert burrell donkin schrieb:

>> > FWIW i've had bad experiences after dubbing releases (of this kind)
>> > 'beta'. i now strongly recommend using the 0.x convention (since it
>> > more accurately conveys the intent).
>> >
>> > - robert
>> >

>> We had some "discussion" about that in the past. Noel told us that we
>> should use the beta label if remember right. He argue that there are a
>> lot of "stable" projects out there which never reach the 1.x version
>> number.
>
> the problem is that beta is a term that's used with widely varying
> meanings and so releasing a beta targeted at users (rather than
> developers) tends to produce confusion about which version users are
> supposed to download. on occasion, i've been asked questions about
> beta that i thought were dead years ago. betas often given dependency
> management software difficulties as well.
>
> i now use beta's only for developer releases now
>
>> Btw, im happy with the label or without it.
>
> the beta designation was the one voted for and you should keep that label
>
> - robert

Ok thx for the clearify ;-)

I did all the necessary changes and update the website. Now we have to
wait for the mirrors

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
+1 to http://www.apache.org/dist/james/jspf/beta/

not "unstable"

d.

Re: Where to place jspf beta release ?

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.
Stefano Bagnara schrieb:
> Norman Maurer ha scritto:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> i want to move the jspf beta release to the final place, but I can't
>> remember where to put it  ( shame on me). If I remember correct the
>> people.apache.org is not valid anymore for such purposes..
>> Anyone can tell me where I can drop the tarballs ?
>>
>> bye
>> Norman
>
> The updated release guidelines published here:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>
> Seems to suggest that anything we voted to publish is an official
> release and belongs to  http://www.apache.org/dist
> We have to take care to mark it as BETA stage, but it has been
> officially supported and VOTEd.
>
> Otherwise we can do developer builds that do not need to be voted and
> we can publish them on people (http://people.apache.org/builds/) but
> we can only publicize it on server-dev and not on the website or
> elsewhere.
>
> Quotes from the guidelines:
>
> "If the general public is being instructed to download a package, then
> that package has been released"
>
> "Releases are packages that have been approved for general public
> release, with varying degrees of caveat regarding their perceived
> quality or potential for change. Releases that are intended for
> everyday usage by non-developers are usually referred to as "stable"
> or "general availability (GA)" releases. Releases that are believed to
> be usable by testers and developers outside the project, but perhaps
> not yet stable in terms of features or functionality, are usually
> referred to as "beta" or "unstable". Releases that only represent a
> project milestone and are intended only for bleeding-edge developers
> working outside the project are called "alpha"."
>
> So jspf-b4 is an official release (we had a vote) and we refer to it
> as beta or unstable.
>
> I think you should use http://www.apache.org/dist/james/jspf/unstable/
> or http://www.apache.org/dist/james/jspf/beta/
>
> Stefano

Ok, anyone see problems with this ? I will move it to this folder  ff
noone will raise his voice ..

bye
Norman