Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Tim Hutt <td...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/18 10:19:30 UTC

History & Name

Hi,

I just discovered this project and had a go at building bleprph for the
nRF51-DK. It worked perfectly, which is very impressive! I'm just curious -
there's a lot of code in implementing a BLE stack. Where did it all come
from? Was it all written by volunteers, or are some of you employed to work
on it? Basically what is the history of the project. Also why the name
"mynewt"?

Cheers,

Tim

Re: History & Name

Posted by Tim Hutt <td...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, very informative! You should add it to the website.

Cheers,

Tim

Re: History & Name

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi Tim,

Welcome!

The BLE stack was written primarily by Chris and Will, who work at
Runtime (https://runtime.io/, with contributions and support from Johan
at Intel.)   I\u2019ll point out: as an Apache project, neither Runtime nor
Intel \u201cown\u201d the direction of this project: it\u2019s direction is
decided by the committers (who happen to be majority Runtime at the
moment: but we\u2019re looking to expand that!)

The project was started because we believed there needed to be a
community driven open-source project out there that provided an
operating system for these constrained embedded environments (cortex-m*,
pic32, riscv5).  After having spent years at various product companies
spending the majority of our time essentially building our own operating
systems from pieces and parts.  We had looked at mbed, and weren\u2019t
happy with both the software design and community model \u2014 so we
thought \u201clet\u2019s build one ourself.\u201d :-)

Mynewt is a play on the term \u201cminute\u201d (tiny.)   It also happens to
be easily trademarkable/doesn\u2019t infringe on people\u2019s trademarks.
The project was originally called Stack, but that had all sorts of
issues.

The goal is to create a full operating system environment that makes it
easy to build connected products \u2014 from an open source Bluetooth stack