Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dewey Monroe <dm...@att.net> on 2015/03/13 07:11:38 UTC

Information

I just wanted to let you know that I made the mistake of attempting to
download OO 4.1.1 from the following site *openoffice*.com
<http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV1zVfAJVMxkAlzlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB2c2lzOGFwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNvdi10b3A-/RV=2/RE=1426255189/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2f926763.r.msn.com%2f%3fld%3dd3OgJN_JKGQ9nTPTPCaNFqazVUCUyEC7Rbzje-tFVQO9Zn3abIyA56BecDfFnO90DKoKfG5ggx1UbPuhk-dx_aGFwWrBBqzg6F5itSqbFB21ciC5SLB9-YOevOJURCIjlvllgdSu1bB9DqEi_m_L044VOPBC750n2Z6s8_Atb3LI8v_FGa%26u%3dwww.openoffice.us.com%252fnr2%252findex.php%253fid%253d271097b3Jkc30mcGs9MTU0Ni00%2526c%253dSrch_US_OpenOffice_us_Suite_PM/RK=0/RS=MC117Ibc4saboCzjO1LupI_BJCc-?p=openoffice.org>
. Doing this caused numerous problems with other programs and numerous
infections which had to be removed. I know, my bad. However, these
unscrupulous bastards are causing a tarnish on the good you folks are
doing. You might want to look into it.

By the way, Open Office 4.1.1 is great, Thanks for the good work.

Re: Information

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Dewey,

thank you for pointing us to that site.

Dewey Monroe schrieb:
> I just wanted to let you know that I made the mistake of attempting to
> download OO 4.1.1 from the following site *openoffice*.com
> <http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV1zVfAJVMxkAlzlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB2c2lzOGFwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNvdi10b3A-/RV=2/RE=1426255189/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2f926763.r.msn.com%2f%3fld%3dd3OgJN_JKGQ9nTPTPCaNFqazVUCUyEC7Rbzje-tFVQO9Zn3abIyA56BecDfFnO90DKoKfG5ggx1UbPuhk-dx_aGFwWrBBqzg6F5itSqbFB21ciC5SLB9-YOevOJURCIjlvllgdSu1bB9DqEi_m_L044VOPBC750n2Z6s8_Atb3LI8v_FGa%26u%3dwww.openoffice.us.com%252fnr2%252findex.php%253fid%253d271097b3Jkc30mcGs9MTU0Ni00%2526c%253dSrch_US_OpenOffice_us_Suite_PM/RK=0/RS=MC117Ibc4saboCzjO1LupI_BJCc-?p=openoffice.org>
> . Doing this caused numerous problems with other programs and numerous
> infections which had to be removed. I know, my bad. However, these
> unscrupulous bastards are causing a tarnish on the good you folks are
> doing. You might want to look into it.
>
> By the way, Open Office 4.1.1 is great, Thanks for the good work.

I think, we should officially act. When you click on the link "Click
here" in the text "Windows 2000, XP, Vista or 7 (32 and 64 bit)
Click here for other operating systems." near the blue arrow at the end
of the page, you get the page
http://www.openoffice.us.com/openoffice/offsite.php?dest=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.openoffice.org%2Fall_rc.html%23untested-full&top=%2Fincludes%2Fframes%2Fdownload&h=100

I think, that is a copyright infringement. They add there own banner
above our website content and provide it under www.openoffice.us.com.

In addition, the sentence "OpenOffice is an open source product licensed
under GNU LGPL v3. " at the end of the page is suspicious. I cannot test
the download itself. You first get an .exe file of 707KB and I have no
safe environment to test, what happens when I use it. When they indeed
provide an Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1, then the product name and license is
wrong.

How to proceed?

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Information

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.
On 13/03/15 14:31, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Were you offered a clear opportunity to decline the additional content that their DownloadAdmin included along with Apache OpenOffice?

With my Linux box, using Firefox with Adblock on, and NoScript on, and
something else that blocks things from websites also turned on, I
browsed it.

My conclusion was that if javascript was not blocked, you would
automatically download their "DownloadAdmin" software, which, in turn,
would download something --- probably OOo 3.x, but maybe something else.

There is a link to the sourceforge download page for AOo.

On http://www.openoffice.us.com/openoffice-developers.php there is a
link to:
http://www.openoffice.us.com/cmsfiles/OOo_3.2.1_src_extensions.tar.bz2
and
http://www.openoffice.us.com/cmsfiles/OOo-SDK_3.2.1_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe
The rest of the links on that page go to openoffice.org, not
openoffice.us.com.

On http://openoffice.us.com/openoffice/disclaimer.php
the page says:
«
 How are you able to provide this software for free?

We're able to offer you this software for free because we are advertiser
supported. When you launch our installer program, it gives our
advertisers a chance to speak to you. You can simply Decline the
advertiser offers if you are not interested. If you are interested, then
Accept their offer; it will help us offer more software for free in the
future. There is no obligation to accept any offers, you can skip all
advertisers and still install and use the software for free.

Here's a detailed summary of the advertiser products that you can
optionally select during installation:
»

Somewhere way down the page is a screenshot of installation on windows.
The first thing I saw was "FREE Games.url", and the next line was "Free
Songs.url", and a couple of other lines that, in the circumstances look
suspicious.

It is, at best, an old version of OpenOffice.org (3.2, but maybe 3.1).

However, I am utterly unconvinced that it is a safe download, even if
one declines all the things that they ask permission to install.

jonathon

RE: Information

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Thanks for the information.  It is not clear what can be done about this.  There will be some investigation to determine what can be done.

 - Dennis

I notice that Yahoo has already determined that they cannot recommend the site.  It is interesting what http://us.com has as a business model also.

I see some fine print at the bottom of the big yellow button that leads to this page,
<http://www.openoffice.us.com/openoffice/disclaimer.php>.